Akki rotti is a popular breakfast item from Karnataka.There are 2-3 ways of making akki rotti.It can be done by soaking dosa rice for few hours and then grinding and making a thick batter from it.It can also be done with rice flour.Read further to know how to make instant Akki rotti using rice flour 🙂
rice flour – 1 cup
grated cucumber(optional) – 2 tbsp
grated carrot(optional) – 3 tbsp
onion,finely chopped – 3 tbsp
coriander leaves,finely chopped – 3 tbsp
ginger,finely chopped – 1 tsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
salt – as per taste
oil – as required
- In a mixing bowl take all the above mentioned ingredients except oil.
- Mix them well.Add little water and form a dough.Grated cucumber that we add helps to bind the dough,so accordingly we need to check and add very little water.
- Once you have mixed it well,pinch ball sized portions from the dough and place it on a butter paper or plantain leaf greased with little oil.
- Pat the dough with fingers.Try to pat it as thin and large as possible.
- Place the rotti along with plantain leaf on a hot tawa.Keep the flame medium.
- Cook rotti on both sides with or without oil.
- These akki rotti’s go well with veg sagu,veg kurma or coconut chutney.
Step by step photos :
1.In a mixing bowl,take 1 cup of rice flour.
2.Next add grated cucumber(2 tbsp) and grated carrot(3 tbsp).Adding cucumber and carrot is optional but it adds to the taste.Optionally you can also add coarsely powdered roasted peanuts to give that extra crunchy taste to rottis.3.Next add 3 tbsps of finely chopped onion and finely chopped coriander leaves.4.Also add 1 tsp of finely chopped or grated ginger,3/4th tsp of salt (or as per taste) and a tsp of cumin seeds.5.Mix everything together and then add water little by little to make a soft dough.6.Take a small portion of the dough and shape it like a ball.Place it on a plantain leaf greased with oil.You can also use butter paper for patting rotti.7.Try to pat the rotti as thin as possible to make it taste better.8.Place the rotti along with plantain leaf (upside down) on a heated tawa for roasting the rotti. Wait for few seconds before you remove the leaf otherwise the rotti may tear.9.Roast the rotti well on both sides.Apply little oil or butter or ghee while roasting.And serve the rottis with coconut chutney or vegetable sagu.Happy cooking and enjoy akki rotti 🙂
Click here for complete video recipe : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN493JETYkk