aloo kachori recipe | aloo ki kachori with step by step photos:
Usually on holidays or on sundays we tend to make something special for breakfast and lunch.I have posted many lunch menu ideas like a typical Karnataka style thali,Punjabi thali,Rajasthani thali,Kerala thali,Maharashtra style thali and some nonveg lunch menu ideas like chicken thali,fish meals etc.I have also uploaded a Indo chinese thali recipe.There were many posts on breakfast recipes.Today I have got a special aloo stuffed kachori recipe which can fit in breakfast as well as in evening tea time snack menu.Aloo kachori is basically a puri made of plain flour and stuffed with aloo masala.We can also use whmake kachoris using only wheat flour.When served with green chutney it works wonders on your taste buds 🙂
maida – 2 cups
suji/rava – 2 tbsp
ghee – 2 or 3 tbsp
salt – 1/3 tsp
baking soda – 1/3 tsp
refined oil – 2 tsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
ginger – 1 tsp,finely chopped
green chilli – 1,finely chopped
potatoes – 4,boiled and mashed
salt – as per taste
red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
dry mango powder – 1/2 tsp
garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
oil – for deep frying
- Firstly to prepare the dough,take 2 cups of maida and 2 tbsp of suji in a mixing bowl.Mix them once and add 2 to 3 tbsp of ghee(preferably warm ghee).
- Mix again until the flour resembles the texture of bread crumbs.
- Next,add 1/3 tsp of salt,1/3 tsp of baking soda and water as required.Start mixing and kneading the flour to prepare a stiff dough.
- Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile,for the stuffing boil 4 to 5 medium sized potatoes.Peel the boiled potatoes and mash or grate them into a bowl.
- Take a saute pan and heat 2 tsp of oil in it.Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds,1 tsp of finely chopped ginger and 1 finely chopped green chilli.Saute for few seconds and add boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Also add spices like half tsp each of red chilli powder,coriander powder and dry mango powder.Add 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder and salt as per taste.Mix everything together.
- Finally add 2 tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves and mix again.Turn off the flame and allow the stuffing mixture to cool.
- Now knead the dough again for 1 or 2 minutes more and pinch small portions out of the dough.
- Flatten the dough ball with your hand or using a rolling pin.
- place 1 or 2 tbsp of potato stuffing mixture in middle of the rolled dough and seal it completely just like you do for paratha.
- Now again flatten the ball slightly without putting much pressure.Flatten it like small puri sized disc…little lesser in size.
- Heat oil in a kadai on low flame.And slide in all the prepared kachoris.Keepig the flame low is very important to avoid getting bubbles on the surface of the kachori.Fry it well on both sides on low flame for about 7 to 8 minutes and transfer onto a kitchen tissue.
- Serve these spicy and tasty aloo kachoris with green chutney.
Step by step photos:
Prepare a stiff dough my mixing maida,suji,ghee,salt and baking soda with about 3/4 th to 1 cup of water and kneading for 5 minutes.Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
To prepare the stuffing mixture heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan first and then add cumin seeds,chopped ginger and chopped green chilli.Saute well and add boiled and mashed potatoes along with red chilli powder,coriander powder,dry mango powder,garam masala powder,salt and coriander leaves.Mix well and turn off the flame.Allow the stuffing mixture to cool. After 30 minutes of resting the dough knead it again for 1 or 2 minutes and pinch small portion out of it.Flatten it with your fingers or using a rolling pin and stuff 2 tbsp of aloo masala. Seal the stuffing and flatten it again into small puri sized disc. Deep fry the prepared kachoris in oil.Fry it on low flame for an even texture without any bubbles over the surface just like the ones you get in a Rajasthani restaurant. Transfer the fried kachoris on kitchen tissue to remove excess oil.Serve these delicious kachoris with spicy and tangy green coriander chutney 🙂