Basundi recipe | Milk basundi recipe with step by step photos:
Basundi is a Karnataka style milk kheer.Its kheer made by thickening full cream milk on low flame.Dry nuts and saffron strands enhance the taste and aroma of this milk kheer.It tastes best when chilled and served.This rich and creamy thickened sweet milk is similar to the north Indian rabdi.
full cream milk – 1 litre
saffron strands – 1/2 tsp
sugar – 1/2 cup
cashew nuts – 20
almonds – 20
pistachio – 20
cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Boil 1 litre of full cream milk on high flame.Once it comes to the first boil,reduce the flame to low.
- Keep stirring occasionally and continue to boil on low flame until the quantity of milk reduces to half.
- Add 1/2 tsp of saffron strands while the milk is boiling on low flame.Saffron imparts a beautiful color to basundi as well as a nice aroma.
- Keep stirring the milk occasionally to avoid burning it in the bottom.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar,20 broken cashew nuts,20 broken almonds and 20 broken pistachio.
- Continue to boil on low flame while stirring occasionally.
- When milk gets thickened and reduces to half the initial quantity,add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder and give a stir.
- Turn off the flame and cool(or chill in refrigerator) completely before serving.
Step by step photos:
Boil 1 litre of full cream milk on high flame until it comes to the first boil.Once it has come to a boil reduce the flame to low and keep stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 tsp of saffron strands while the milk is boiling on low flame. Continue to stir on low flame to avoid burning the milk in bottom. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and 20 each of broken cashew nuts,almonds and pistachios.
When milk reduces to half its initial quantity,add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder and stir well. Turn off the flame and cool or chill in refrigerator before serving basundi. Garnish with dry nuts and serve.