Biscuit rotti recipe | Biscuit roti recipe | Udupi Mangalore special biscuit rotti with step by step photos:
Biscuit rotti is yet another Udupi-Mangalore special recipe.Infact,there is no end if I have to list all the recipes originated from udupi Mangalore regions.But today,I am going to present an evening tea time snack recipe called biscuit rotti.Don’t go by the name 🙂 .We don’t use biscuit for making this snack,neither we make any sort of rotti’s (flatbread)!This is actually a poori made with maida or all purpose flour with some stuffing inside.Based on the stuffing there can be 2 variations in biscuit rotti.Let’s see the recipe of most popular version of biscuit rotti.
Ingredients for making dough:
all purpose flour/maida – 2 cups
salt – 1/4 tsp
warm ghee – 3 to 4 tsp
Ingredients for stuffing mixture:
oil – 2 tsp
curry leaves – 6
urad dal – 1 tbsp
green chilli – 1 tsp,finely chopped
ginger – 1 tbsp,finely chopped
semolina – 4 tbsp
gram flour – 3 tsp
turmeric powder – a pinch
shredded coconut – 1 cup
salt – 1/2 tsp
powdered sugar – 1 tsp
For deep frying the pooris : oil
- In a mixing bowl take 2 cups of maida.
- Add 1/4 tsp of salt and mix with the flour.
- Add 3 to 4 tsp of warm ghee and mix well with the flour.
- Now add water little at a time and knead the flour into a stiff dough.
- Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile,to prepare the stuffing mixture heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan.
- Once the oil is heated well,add roughly chopped curry leaves.
- Also add a tbsp of urad dal.Fry well.
- Further add finely chopped green chillies and ginger.Fry again.
- Next add 4 tbsp of rava and 3 tsp of gram flour.Fry rava and gram flour on low flame without burning them.Fry them atleast for 3 to 4 minutes on low flame.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and mix well.
- Finally add a cup of fresh shredded coconut,1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of powdered sugar and fry again for 1 or 2 minutes.If you want to store these biscuit rotti’s for 2 – 3 days,then it’s important to fry the stuffing mixture to remove rawness of each ingredient,especially from coconut.Adding powdered sugar to stuffing mixture is totally optional.Turn off the flame and allow the stuffing mixture to cool.
- After resting the dough for an hour,knead it again for few minutes and pinch small ball shaped dough.
- Shape each pinched dough portion like a cup and fill 1 or 2 tbsp of stuffing mixture inside it.
- Seal the stuffing completely by stretching the dough from sides and covering it.
- Now roll the dough into small poori’s and deep fry them in hot oil.
- That’s all the procedure for making tasty biscuit rotti’s.Best part of this snack is that it doesn’t require any side dish 🙂 other than a hot cup of coffee or tea.But again nobody would stop you from inventing your own combo dip for this delicious and spiced poori’s ! Enjoy maadi 😉
Step by step photos:
In a mixing bowl take 2 cups of maida,1/4 tsp of salt,3 to 4 tsp of warm ghee and mix well together.Add required quantity of water and knead into a stiff dough. Allow the dough to rest for an hour. In a pan heat 2 tsp of oil and fry 6 chopped curry leaves and 1 tbsp of urad dal. Further add finely chopped green chillies,finely chopped ginger and fry again.Next add 4 tbsp of rava. Add 3 tsp of gram flour. Fry well until the rawness in rava and gram flour vanishes. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut.It is important to fry coconut well if you want to store these biscuit rotti’s for 2 – 3 days. Finally add 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of powdered sugar.Adding sugar is optional.Fry for few more seconds and turn off the flame. After an hour of resting the dough.knead it again for few more minutes. Pinch small ball shaped dough and shape it like a cup. Fill 1 or 2 tbsp of stuffing mixture in cup shaped dough. Seal it properly covering the stuffing mixture inside. Roll into poori sized discs. Deep fry in hot oil. Serve with hot cup of coffee or tea.