broken wheat payasam recipe | broken wheat kheer recipe | godhi kadi payasa with step by step photos:
Broken wheat payasam is one of the easy payasam to prepare.Broken wheat is rich in fiber and offers many health benefits.In contrast to vermicelli kheer or sabudana kheer that I usually prefer to make on any festivals or special occasions,my mother prefers making broken wheat payasam.Let me share this easy recipe that I learnt from my Mommy dear 🙂 ..
- broken wheat(godhi kadi) – 1 cup
- homemade thin coconut milk – 4 cups
- homemade thick coconut milk – 2 cups
- jaggery – 1 to 1.5 cups
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- ghee – 1 tbsp
- cashew nuts-2 tbsp
- raisins – 2 tbsp
- Soak 1 cup of broken wheat in water for 1 hour.
- After an hour of soaking,drain the water and add broken wheat to pressure cooker.
- Add 4 cups of homemade thin coconut milk and pressure cook the wheat on high flame up to 5 whistles.
- Transfer pressure cooked broken wheat(along with thin coconut milk added in cooker) to a wok or any thick bottomed kadai.
- Turn on the flame and add about 1 to 1.5 cups of jaggery to kadai.Make changes in measurements of jaggery depending on your sweet preference.Boil on medium flame until jaggery melts.
- If you find the consistency to be thick,add water or thin coconut milk and adjust the consistency.
- And since we are using coconut milk we are free to add salt as well,it’s not going to curdle the payasam :).Add about 1/4 tsp of salt and stir well.
- Once the jaggery is melted completely and payasa comes to a rolling boil,add 2 cups of thick coconut milk.Remember in any dish, be it a kheer,curry or any other recipe ,thick coconut milk is always added at the end and we should not cook it for more than 2 or 3 minutes after adding thick coconut milk as its going to thicken the liquid.
- After boiling for 2 to 3 minutes more turn off the flame and add 1/2 tsp pf cardamom powder.Also add cashew nuts and raisins that you would have already fried in ghee and kept ready.Stir everything together and that’s it ..our Godhi Kadi Payasa (in Kannada) or broken wheat payasam is ready to serve.Tastes more if you chill it before serving 🙂
Step by step photos :
Soak 1 cup of broken wheat in water for 1 hour. After an hour drain the water and add soaked broken wheat to a pressure cooker. Add 4 cups of thin coconut milk. Pressure cook on high flame up to 5 whistles. Transfer the pressure cooked wheat to a kadai or a wok.Add 1 to 1.5 cups of jaggery.
Adjust the consistency by adding more water or thin coconut milk as required. Stir and boil until jaggery melts completely. Add 1/4 tsp of salt. Add 2 cups of thick coconut milk and boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the flame and add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder. Finally add cashew nuts and raisins that are fried in ghee.Stir everything together and our broken wheat payasam will be ready to serve 🙂