In most of the European countries filling vegetables and rice along with meat inside tender cabbage leaves and baking them(immersed in a sweet and sour sauce) is a common and traditional food.In this cabbage rolls recipe I have made variations to the filling and made it complete veg version of the traditional cabbage rolls.We can also use vegetables like mushroom,capsicum,beans,etc.for the filling.A cheese stuffed cabbage rolls could be another variation 😉
- oil – 4 tbsp
- fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- onion – 1
- ginger garlic paste – 1/2 + 1/2 tsp
- green chilli – 1
- turmeric powder – 1/2 + 1/2 tsp
- green peas – 3/4 cup
- potatoes – 5
- salt – to taste
- tomato puree – of 4 tomatoes
- red chilli powder – 3/4 to 1 tsp
- dry ginger powder – 1/2 tsp
- cabbage leaves
- Firstly,prepare the stuffing.Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add fennel seeds.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste and saute again.
- Add turmeric powder and a green chilli that is finely chopped.Saute again for a minute.
- Add green peas and 5 boiled and mashed potatoes.Mix well.
- Next add salt to taste and mix again and our Potato stuffing for cabbage rolls is ready.
- For the sauce,in a separate pan or wok heat up 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste,saute for few seconds and add tomato puree.
- Also add turmeric powder,chilli powder,dry ginger powder and salt.Mix well.
- Allow the puree to boil in low flame for 5 minutes under closed lid.
- After 5 minutes add 3/4 cup of water and boil again for 5 more minutes in low flame.
- Optionally you can also add a tsp of sugar to this tomato sauce.
- Once the stuffing and tomato sauce are ready we can start making the rolls.
- The cabbage leaves that you use for rolling should be first immersed in boiling water for 5 minutes and the transferred to ice cold water.Preferably use tender cabbage leaves as they taste good and it becomes easy to roll also.
- Take the cabbage leaves and place a scoop of potato stuffing inside and roll the leaf.Roll it tight and seal just like we do for spring rolls.
- Place the rolls on a baking tray and on top pour in the tomato gravy or sauce.Cover the tray with cabbage leaves and again with foil sheet and bake the rolls at 180° for 45 minutes or until the leaves are cooked well.Since the stuffing is already cooked we only need to check on the wrapper.
- You can also steam cook the cabbage rolls instead of baking.Other option is to dip the rolls in a batter of gram flour and spices and deep fry in oil 🙂
Step by step photos:
Heat up oil in a saute pan and add fennel seeds and onion.Saute for 2 minutes.
Also add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste,1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 green chilli that is finely chopped.Saute again.
Next add green peas,boiled and mashed potatoes and salt.Mix well and stir fry for 2 minutes and our stuffing will be ready.
For the sweet and sour tomato gravy or sauce heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a wok and add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste.
Next add tomato puree,1/2 tsp of turmeric powder,red chilli powder(as per taste or 3/4 to 1 tsp) and 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powder.Also add salt to taste.
Cook it on low flame for 5 minutes with lid closed.After 5 minutes add about 3/4 cup of water and boil again for 5 minutes on low flame and our sauce too will be ready!
Next take the blanched cabbage leaves and stuff a scoop of potato filling and roll the leaf tight just like we roll a spring roll sheet.
Place the rolls in a baking tray and pour the tomato sauce on top .
Bake the rolls in oven at 180° for 40 to 45 minutes.If the filling is raw,you may need more time to bake.There you are with healthy veggie cabbage rolls :).Served them with the prepared sauce.