Chettinad Chicken Curry | Chicken Chettinad masala with step by step photos:
Chettinad Chicken is a spicy,fiery curry with full of aroma and flavors.Originated from a place called Chettinad in Tamil Nadu,it has become popular all that are roasted in ghee.With a thick and creamy gravy or masala,this curry is good combination to have with white rice,dosas and also all types of rotis or poori.
Chicken – 500 gms
ghee – 4 tsp
coriander seeds – 1.5 tbsp
cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
pepper corns – 1 tsp
fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
cloves – 6 to 7
cardamom – 3
cinnamon – 3 small sticks
mace – 1
bay leaves – 2
dry red chillies – 4 to 5
garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
cashew nuts – 1 tbsp
fresh shredded coconut – 3/4 cup
methi seeds – 8 to 10
tamarind – small size
kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tsp
shallots – 1 cup
ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
salt – as per taste
coriander leaves – 1 tbsp,finely chopped
- Keep chicken pieces marinated with salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a pan and roast whole spices like coriander seeds,cumin seeds,pepper corns,fennel seeds,cloves,cardamom,cinnamon,mace and bay leaves(quantities as mentioned above).Roast them well for about 3 to 4 minutes and transfer the roasted spices to a bowl or plate to cool.
- In the same roast 4 to 5 dry red chillies and 4 to 5 garlic cloves.Transfer the roasted chillies and garlic to same plate.
- Next roast cashew nuts and coconut.
- Now transfer all the roasted ingredients into blending jar.Also add 8 to 10 methi seeds and a small size of tamarind pulp into the blending jar.Add 1 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder that imparts a nice color to the gravy.Add little water and grind everything together into a very fine masala.
- To make the curry,heat 3 tsp of ghee in a wok or a kadai.Add 1 cup of thin sliced shallots or small sambar onions.Once they are sauteed well,add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste and saute for few more seconds.
- Now add chicken pieces.
- Cook on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next,add prepared masala paste and mix well.
- Adjust gravy consistency by adding water.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Cook on medium flame until the chicken pieces are cooked well and turn soft.
- Turn off the flame and finally add few finely chopped coriander leaves.
Step by step photos:
Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan and roast coriander seeds,cumin seeds,pepper corns,fennel seeds,cloves,cardamom,cinnamon,mace and bay leaves.roast well for 3 to 4 minutes.
Transfer the roasted spices to a plate and in the same pan roast red chillies and garlic cloves. Further roast freshly shredded coconut and cashew nuts.
Into a blending jar add 8 to 10 methi seeds,a small sized tamarind pulp,roasted spices,coconut and cashew nuts.Also add 1 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder and little water.Grind into a fine masala paste. In a wok or a kadai,heat 3 tsp of ghee and saute 1 cup of thin sliced shallots until they turn translucent.Add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste and saute for few more seconds. Add marinated chicken pieces and cook on low flame for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add prepared masala and adjust gravy consistency by adding water.Add salt as per taste. Cook on medium flame until the chicken pieces are cooked well and become soft.Finally add some finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve this spicy,aromatic Chettinad Chicken curry with rice,dosa or rotis.