Coconut cookies recipe | cookies recipe without oven with step by step photos:
With lots of roasted coconut and sugar these cookies are chewy from outside and soft inside.This is a egg less version of coconut cookies made in cooker.Same recipe can be tried out in oven too.You can also replace roasted coconut to desiccated coconut though I personally prefer to use fresh coconut by dry roasting it.It is s quick and easy to make recipe that has perfect combination of flavors.
all purpose flour / maida – 1 cup
powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
roasted coconut – 1/2 cup
baking soda – 1/4 tsp
cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
ghee – 1/2 cup
chopped cashew nut and pistachio – for garnishing
- Except ghee add all other dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix them well.
- Now add 1/2 cup of ghee and combine ghee with dry ingredients.It forms a dough.
- Now pinch small lime sized portions from the dough and pat it with fingers to give a cookie shape.
- Place some chopped or broken dry nuts on top of the cookies.
- For baking these cookies without oven,spread about 1 inch layer of sand in an old cooker.
- Heat the cooker on high flame for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes of heating cooker reduce the flame to low.
- Keep all the cookies in a greased tray or a cake tin and place the tin above the layer of sand in cooker.
- Close the cooker with lid but without gasket and whistle valve.
- Allow the cookies to bake on low flame for 30 minutes.
- Before removing the baked cookies from tray,let them cool for sometime.As they get cooled they become more crunchy.
Step by step photos:
Take 1 cup of all purpose flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Dry roast 1/2 cup of fresh shredded coconut and add it to the same mixing bowl. Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Also add 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder to enhance flavor. Mix all the dry ingredients. Next add 1/2 cup of ghee and mix well with dry ingredients to form a dough. Grease hands with ghee and shape cookies by taking small lime sized dough. Place the cookie on a greased aluminium tray or cake tin.Leave some gap between the cookies as they are going to enlarge in size while baking.On top sprinkle some chopped or broken cashew nuts and pistachio. To bake the cookies without oven,spread about 1 inch thickness of sand layer inside an old cooker.Heat cooker with sand in it for about 5 minutes on high flame. Place the cookie tray or tin inside the cooker. Close the cooker lid without gasket and weight valve. Bake the cookies on low flame for 30 to 35 minutes.Allow the cookies to cool completely.
Enjoy these delicious coconut cookies with a hot cup of coffee 🙂