In one of my earlier post I showed how to make Rasam powder.Today using same rasam powder I made a quick dal rasam without using tomatoes,onion or garlic.A simple,tasty and refreshing rasam using toor dal.
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Diluted tamarind juice – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery – 1 tbsp
- Green chillies – 4
- Rasam powder – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Water – 4 to 5 cups
- Soak 1 cup of toor dal in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and add toor dal to pressure cooker.
- Also add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of oil.
- Pressure cook the dal in high flame for 3 whistles.
- Keep aside the pressure cooked dal.
- Next,In a separate sauce pot or a kadai add 1 cup of water for boiling.Also to the water add 1/4 cup of diluted tamarind juice,1 tbsp of jaggery and 4 slit green chillies.
- Boil the water for 5 minutes and then add the dal water/stock.Pass the pressure cooked dal through a sifter and sieve it to add only the water and not dal.See the images below for more clarity.
- Further add 2 tsps of rasam powder,10 curry leaves that roughly chopped,1/4 tsp of asafoetida and some salt to taste.
- Boil the dal for 3 more minutes.
- Finally add a tempering to dal with a tsp of mustard seeds and 2 broken dry red chillies in 2 tsps of hot ghee.
- Add few fiely chopped coriander leaves and our Dal rasam is ready 🙂
Step by step photos:
Add 1 cup of soaked toor dal to pressure cooker.
Add 3 cups of water.
Add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder.
Further add 1 tbsp of oil.
Pressure cook the dal upto 3 whistles on High flame.
Keep aside the pressure cooked dal and in a separate sauce pot keep 1 cup of water for boiling. Also add 1/4 cup of diluted tamarind juice to the water. Add 1 tbsp of jaggery too.
Further add 4 slit green chillies.
Boil the water on medium flame for 5 minutes.
Now add pressure cooked dal-water.Pass it through a sifter and add only the water.Do not add dal. Add 2 tsp of rasam powder. And few roughly chopped curry leaves. Further,add 1/4 tsp of asafoetida. Also add salt to taste.
Boil the rasam for 3 minutes.
And finally add a tempering of mustard and dry red chillies in hot ghee.Add it to the rasam.
Finally end it off by adding few chopped coriander leaves.
And our very refreshing,easy and no onion-garlic-tomato rasam,Dal Rasam is ready to serve 🙂