Doodh Peda Recipe | Authentic Doodh Pedha Recipe with step by step photos:
Guess what is the main ingredient required to make a doodh peda ? Patience 🙂 .. you heard it right ! Apart from patience you also need thick creamy milk,some sugar and a pinch of cardamom powder for the flavor.Its easy to make instant pedas and it’s much more easier to make peda using milk.Procedure is simple,ingredients are less however it’s a time consuming task.Just grab those melodious music tracks from your collection,play them in the background and start making the pedas 🙂 .Here comes the recipe :
- Thick full cream milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Finely sliced pistachio – for garnishing
- To boil the milk,preferably take a thick-bottomed non-stick wok or a kadai.
- Take 1 litre full cream thick milk and boil it initially on high flame until it comes to a boil.
- Once the milk comes to a boil,reduce the flame to low and continue to boil.
- Keep stirring the milk in low flame.
- Milk starts thickening and reduces in volume.
- Depending on the thickness or creamy content of the milk,it may take anywhere between 55 to 70 minutes for the milk to completely thicken and form khova/khoya.For me,it took exactly 55 minutes.
- Once the khova is ready turn off the flame and keep aside the wok.
- In a separate pan or kadai,prepare sugar syrup by boiling 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/3 cup of water.
- Boil the syrup until it reaches a single thread consistency.Once single thready consistency is reached,add 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder and stir once.
- Add milk khova to the sugar syrup,turn off the flame and keep stirring while mixing the khova with sugar syrup.
- As the khova and sugar syrup mixture cools down it starts thickening and forms a single lump or dough.
- Grease your hand with ghee and pinch small portions of khova and give it a nice ball shape.
- Give a small indent in the middle of the peda by pressing it lightly with your finger.And later you can fill some chopped dry nuts to fill in these indentation to give a more presentable look 🙂 . I have used some finely sliced pistachio for this purpose.
Step by step photos:
Keep 1 litre of full cream thick milk for boiling on high flame,in a thick bottomed non-stick wok or a kadai.
Until the first rolling boil continue on high flame and lower the flame.Keep stirring the milk while boiling in low flame.Milk starts reducing in volume and becomes more thick.
As you continue to boil the milk in low flame,milk starts thickening more and at one stage it thickens completely.Turn off the flame and keep aside the prepared milk khova.
In a separate pan,add 1/2 cup of sugar and add 1/3 cup of water to it.
Boil the sugar syrup on medium flame until it reaches a single thread consistency.
Once single thread consistency is reached,add 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.
Also add the prepared milk khova and stir well.Turn off the flame but continue to stir.As the syrup gets cooled the khova and sugar mixture starts thickening again.
Grease your hand with some ghee and take small portions out of sweetened khova and shape it into small peda’s or balls.
Make small indentation in middle so as to garnish it with some finely sliced pistachio.That should give a more tempting look to the peda’s 🙂 There we have our homemade doodh peda or milk peda 🙂 .. Patience pays 😉