Dwadashi Ganji recipe | Tulsi Pooja recipe – dwadashi ganji with step by step photos:
Dwadashi ganji is a rice dish prepared and consumed during the fast on utthana dwadashi day on which Hindus perform Tulsi Pooja.A fast is observed on the day of Tulsi pooja or Tulsi Vivah(wedding) until evening when the actual celebration begins.In South canara region we prepare Dwadashi ganji ,a satvik food to be consumed on the day of tulsi pooja.Some people follow a strict fasting without having any food or liquid.Those who find it difficult to keep a strict fast,void of food or liquid,eat dwadashi ganji.
rice – 1 cup
moong dal – 1/3 cup
ghee – 1 tbsp
salt – to taste
water – 4 cups
thick coconut milk -1.5 cups
black pepper corns – 10
cloves – 4 to 5
- Boil 4 cups of water.
- Add 10 pepper corns and 4 to 5 cloves to boiling water.
- Also wash 1 cup rice and add to boiling water.
- Add 1/2 cup moong dal soaked for 30 minutes,to boiling water.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee and salt as per taste.
- Cook rice on medium flame.
- Once the rice and dal is cooked add 1.5 cups of fresh thick coconut milk and cook on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes more.And our dwadashi ganji will be ready.
Step by step photos:
Keep 4 cups of water for boiling.
Once the water starts boiling,add 10 black pepper corns. Add 4 to 5 cloves. Wash 1 cup of good quality cooking rice and add it to boiling water. Also add 1/3 cup of moong dal(soaked for 30 minutes) to boiling water. Also add 1 tbsp of ghee. Add salt as per taste and stir once.Cover the vessel with a lid and cook the rice on medium flame. Once the rice and dals are cooked well,add 1.5 cups of thick homemade coconut milk. After adding coconut milk,cook again for 3 to 4 minutes more on medium flame.The consistency should be similar to that of khichdi.
This dwadashi ganji is prepared on a dwadashi day when we keep fasting for tulsi pooja.The word ganji means a semi-liquid(or semi-solid) rice dish.