Gadbad Icecream | South Canara Special Gad Bad Icecream with step by step photos:
Gadbad is a popular fruit salad among the region of Kundapur-Udupi-Mangalore.The actual meaning of word gadbad is ‘there is something wrong’ 😀 ..I know one ice-cream parlour/restaurant each in Kundapur,Udupi and Mangalore who serve the best gadbad 🙂 .But as far as the origin of the recipe goes,I think it originated from a restaurant in Udupi…a popular restaurant which is among my favorite list of hotels.Gadbad is basically a mix of 2 to 3 flavors of ice creams and fruits and dry nuts.Though the ice cream flavors used mostly are mango,vanilla and strawberry,we are free to personalize it as per our taste buds.I am going to present the way I have personalized my gadbad ice cream.Try this combination of icecream flavors,nuts and fruits and I am sure you will like it !!
Ingredients (for 2 servings) :
apple – 1,roughly chopped
banana – 2,roughly chopped
tuti-fruti – 4 tbsp
pistachio – 2 tbsp,finely chopped
almonds – 2 tbsp,finely chopped
cashew nuts – 4 tbsp
seedless dates – 2 tbsp,finely chopped
raisins – 2 tbsp
mango ice cream – 2 scoops each
chikoo/sapota icecream – 2 scoops each
- Take 2 large ice-cream glasses.Firstly,add in 1/2 apple that is roughly chopped to both the glasses.This will be the bottom most layer in our gadbad ice cream.
- Next add a scoop of mango ice cream.
- Next,add 1 tbsp of raisins and 1 tbsp of finely sliced seedless dates.
- Then comes a scoop of chikoo or sapota icecream 🙂
- Add 1 small sized and roughly chopped banana.
- Follow it up with 2 tbsp of half broken cashew nuts.
- Also add 1 tbsp of finely chopped almonds and 1 tbsp of finely chopped pistachio to each glass.
- Add 1 tbsp of tuti-fruti.
- Finally add a scoop each of mango ice cream and chikoo ice cream on top.
- A gad bad is usually garnished with a cherry on top and some strawberry jelly in the bottom.Not that I have avoided both the jelly and cherry.Instead I have kept an almond on top for garnishing 😛
- There you are …with your own personalized gad bad ice cream right infront of you 🙂 ..Enjoy maadi !
Step by step photos: