golibaje recipe | mangalore bajji recipe with step by step photos:
golibaje and biscuit ambode are the two popular street snacks from South Canara region in Karnataka.Golibaje is a sweet and sour snack made with a fermented batter of maida and curd.The recipe is very simple..all we need is maida,sour curd and few basic ingredients.Batter needs to get fermented for 2 to 3 hours and then we deep fry ‘goli'(small ball) sized bondas in oil.The recipe posted here is the authentic one.Optionally to enhance the taste we can add some chopped fresh coconut pieces to the batter.There is no ‘hotel style’ version of this recipe 😉 .Hotel or home, golibaje is a simple recipe done the way I have described here in this post….
all purpose flour/maida – 1 cup
sour curd – 1/2 cup
curry leaves – 10 to 15
ginger,chopped – 1 tsp
green chilli,chopped – 1
coriander leaves,chopped – 2 tbsp
salt – 1/2 tsp
baking soda – 1/3 tsp
asafoetida – a pinch
sugar – 3 tsp
- Firstly,in a a mixing bowl take 1 cup of maida,10 to 15 curry leaves,1 tsp pf chopped ginger,1 chopped green chilli,2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves and 1/2 cup of curd.Mix everything together and add 1/3rd to half cup of water and beat the batter vigorously for about 5 minutes.It would become a sticky and thick batter.
- Keep the batter for fermentation for 2 hours.If the room temperature is very cold then you can increase the fermentation time till 3 hours but not more than that.
- After fermenting the batter,add 1/2 tsp pf salt,1/3 tsp of baking soda,a pinch of asafoetida and 3 tsp of sugar.Mix again for about 2 minutes.Meanwhile keep the oil for heating on medium flame in a kadai.
- After adding baking soda we should not rest the batter for a long time.Pinch small portions out of the prepared thick batter and fry the like bondas in hot oil.
- Serve these golibaje hot with spicy coconut chutney.
Step by step photos:
In a mixing bowl take maida,curd,curry leaves,green chilli(chopped),chopped ginger and chopped coriander leaves.As required add little water(not more than 1/2 cup) and mix well.Beat the batter vigorously for 5 minutes with hand.This helps the golibaje to puff up nicely when fried in oil. Keep the batter for 2 hours to ferment and after fermentation add salt,sugar,baking soda and a pinch of asafoetida.Mix well again for about 2 minutes and immediately deep fry small goli sized batter in hot oil. Transfer the deep fried golibaje on a kitchen tissue to remove excess oil. Serve these golibaje along with a spicy coconut chutney 🙂