halbai recipe | akki halubai recipe | akki manni recipe with step by step photos:
Halbai or akki manni is a kind of rice halwa made with rice batter and jaggery mixture.Its a healthy sweet dish prepared during Shivratri,Diwali and Nag-panchami festivals in South Canara region.
raw rice – 1 cup
jaggery – 1 cup
coconut – 1 cup
salt – as per taste
ghee – 3 tsp
- Soak 1 cup of raw rice for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours drain the water and transfer the rice into a grinding jar and add add 1 cup of jaggery,1 cup of coconut,salt as per taste and little water.Grind into a fine batter.
- Pour the batter into a pan.Adjust the consistency before turning on the flame.Consisitency should be very thin and watery.
- Turn on the flame and keep it low throughout.Keep stirring continuously to avoid lump formation.
- Add 2 to 3 tsp of ghee while the batter starts to thicken.
- Cook on low flame until the batter thickens and then transfer it onto a greased tray.Flatten it on the top and allow the mixture to cool completely before cutting into pieces.
- Once it is cooled cut into desired shape.
Step by step photos:
Soak 1 cup of raw rice in water for 4 hours. After 4 hours of soaking,transfer the rice to a grinding jar. Also add 1 cup of jaggery to the grinding jar. Add 1 cup of fresh and shredded coconut. Add salt as per taste.Add little water and grind the rice along with jaggery,salt and coconut to a fine and thin batter. Transfer the batter to a wok or a wide pan.Adjust the batter consistency before keeping the pan on flame.Bring the batter to a watery consistency. Turn on the flame and cook on lowest possible flame while stirring continuously. Add 2 to 3 tsp of ghee and cook until the batter thickens as shown in the picture below. Finally add 1 more tsp of ghee and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a greased tray and flatten on top. Cool completely and cut the mani into desired shapes.