Idli Sambar Recipe | Hotel Sambar Recipe | Sambar for Idli and Dosa with step by step photos:
A plate of idli is incomplete without sambar – be it in hotel or at home 🙂 ! Today I am going to post the recipe of sambar that can be served for tiffin along with Idli,a typical Udupi Hotel Style Sambar.It’s delicious and quick to make.Unlike sambar that is served for lunch,an Idli sambar takes less vegetables.I have used homemade sambar powder for this recipe.You can find the recipe here:Sambar Powder.
oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
ghee – 1 tsp
soaked toor dal – 1 cup
onion – 1 , roughly chopped
tomatoes – 2,finely chopped
potatoes – 3,each cut into 4 to 6 large pieces
turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
salt – as per taste
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
curry leaves – 15
crushed garlic cloves – 6
dry red chilli – 1,broken
asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
jaggery – 1/2 tsp
tamarind juice – 1 tsp
sambar powder – 2 tsp
coriander leaves – 2 tbsp,finely chopped
ghee – 1 tsp
- Add 1 cup of soaked tuvar dal,1 roughly chopped onion,2 finely chopped tomatoes,3 roughly chopped potatoes,1/4 tsp of turmeric powder,salt to taste,1 tsp of oil and 2.5 cups of water to a pressure cooker and pressure cook on high flame up to 3 whistles.
- In a wok or kadai,heat 2 tbsp of oil.Once oil is heated well,add a tsp of mustard seeds and wait until they start spluttering.
- Further add 15 curry leaves,6 crushed garlic cloves,1 broken dry red chilli,1/4 tsp of asafoetida and saute for few seconds.
- Now add pressure cooked dal and give a stir.Add 1/2 tsp of jaggery and 1 tsp of tamarind juice.
- Now comes the main ingredient that gives the actual flavor and taste to the sambar.Its sambar powder.Better if it’s homemade 🙂 .Click here for sambar powder recipe:SAMBAR POWDER.Add about 2 to 2.5 tsp of sambar powder.
- Adjust salt as per preference and boil sambar on medium flame for 4 minutes.
- After boiling,turn off the flame and about 1 or 2 tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves and 1 tsp f ghee.Adding ghee or sambar to rasam or sambar at the end increases the aroma and taste.Serve this sambar soft Idlis and enjoy.See of you can have a count of number of Idli’s you eat with this Sambar 😉
Step by step photos:
Add 1 cup of soaked tuvar dal,1 roughly chopped onion,2 finely chopped tomatoes,3 roughly chopped potatoes,1/4 tsp of turmeric powder,salt to taste,1 tsp of oil and 2.5 cups of water to a pressure cooker. Pressure cook on high flame up to 3 whistles. Next in a wok or kadai,heat 2 tbsp of oil and add 1 tsp of mustard seeds.Once they start spluttering add curry leaves,crushed garlic cloves,1 dry red chilli and asafoetida.Saute for few seconds. Add pressure cooked dal,1/2 tsp of jaggery and 1 tsp of tamarind juice.Add 2 tsp of sambar powder. Boil sambar on medium flame for another 4 minutes and turn off the flame.Finally add few chopped coriander leaves. Adding a tsp of ghee enhances the flavor of sambar. Serve this quick,easy and delicious hotel style sambar with soft Idlis 🙂