Instant moong dal halwa recipe | Rajasthani moong dal halwa with step by step photos:
Moong dal halwa is a popular sweet recipe originated from Rajasthan.In an authentic moong dal halwa recipe,moong dal is soaked for 4 to 5 hours and then is made a coarse paste before starting halwa making procedure.However,there is an instant version for this recipe in which we need not soak dal.We just wash dal and fry it until brown and crisp.And then just like other halwas,we add sugar and ghee and cook it on low flame to get delicious,festive style instant moong dal halwa.
- moong dal – 1 cup
- ghee – 1/2 cup
- milk – 1 cup
- sugar – 1 cup
- cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
- pistachio – 2 tbsp
- raisins – 2 tbsp
- Heat a pan and add only 1 tsp out of 1/2 cup of ghee.
- Wash 1 cup of moong dal and drain the water completely.Add it to the pan.
- Stir fry it continuously on low flame until it turns golden brown in color and becomes crisp.
- Allow the fried dal to cool completely and add it to a blending jar.Grind it into a neither too fine nor too coarse powder.
- Next take the same pan and out of remaining ghee add 2 more tsp of ghee.
- Add moong dal powder to pan fry it on low flame in ghee for 3 more minutes.It is important to keep the flame low otherwise the color or texture of halwa may turn very dark.
- After frying dal powder for 3 minutes add 1 cup of milk.Immediately after adding milk,stir continuously without letting it form any lump.
- Dal powder will absorb milk.Next add remianing ghee.You can increase the quantity of ghee upto 1 cup.
- After adding ghee mix it well with dal and then add 1 cup of sugar.
- Continue to stir,sugar melts and at one stage ghee starts separating from pan.At this stage,add fried cashew nuts,pistachio and raisins.
- Also add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder and mix well.
- Thats all the procedure of making an instant moong dal halwa 🙂
Step by step photos:
Add 1 tsp of ghee into the pan and heat it.
Add 1 cup of washed moong dal to the pan and fry it on low flame in ghee for about 5 minutes or until it turns golden brown in color and becomes crisp. Allow the fried dal to cool and add it to a blending jar. Grind it into a neither coarse nor too fine powder. To the same again add 2 tsp of ghee and heat it. Add dal powder to ghee and fry it on low flame for 3 more minutes while stirring it continuously. After 3 minutes of frying on low flame add 1 cup of milk and stir it again. Dal will abosrb milk quickly.Add remaining ghee and mix it well. Add 1 cup of ghee and mix well.Sugar will melt.Continue to cook it on low flame until ghee starts separating from the pan.Finally add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder,fried cashew nuts,raising and pistachio and mix well.
And our instant moong dal halwa will be ready to serve 🙂