Jowar Masala Dosa recipe | Jowar dosa with step by step photos:
Jowar is a rich source of fiber and calcium.It is a gluten-free alternative for rice.We have already seen how to make an instant jowar dosa for a quick breakfast.In today’s post we are going to see yet another healthy dosa recipe made with whole jowar.
- whole jowar – 3.5 cups
- urad dal – 3/4 cup
- methi seeds – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- sugar – 1 tbsp
- oil – to make dosa
- Potato baaji/sabji for stuffing
- Soak 3.5 cups of jowar in a bowl for 4 hours.Also soak 3/4 cup of urad dal and 1 tbsp of methi seeds in a separate bowl for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours of soaking,drain the water grind urad dal and methi seeds together into a very fine batter.
- Next grind soaked jowar into a fine batter.Compared to rice,jowar takes in more water to reach the perfect batter consistency.
- Mix both the batters really well and add water if required to get the perfect consistency,similar to that of a masala dosa batter.
- Keep batter for fermentation for 6 to 7 hours.Compared to rice,jowar takes less time to ferment.
- After 6 to 7 hours of fermenting the batter,add salt as required and a tbsp of sugar and mix them well with the batter.Sugar enhances the texture of dosa,however it is optional.
- Spread little oil on hot tawa and spread dosa batter just like you do for a masala dosa.Close it with a lid and cook it well for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Open the lid and place potato baaji in middle and roll dosa on both sides covering potato baaji inside.
- Serve this dosa with sambar and coconut chutney.
Step by step photos:
Soak 3.5 cups of whole jowar in a nowl for 4 hours. In a separate bowl take 3/4 cup of urad dal. Add 1 tbsp of methi seeds to it and soak them in water for 4 hours.After 4 hours of soaking,Grind jowar separately into a fine batter.And grind urad dal and methi seeds together into a fine batter.Add both batters into a bowl and mix them well. Keep the batter for fermentation for 6 to 7 hours.To the fermented batter add salt to taste. Adding 1 tbsp of sugar improves the texture of dosa but it is optional. Spread little oil on tawa and spread the batter.Cook dosa on medium flame. Once it is cooked well,place potato baaji in middle and cover it by rolling dosa from both sides. And our healthy breakfast recipe Jowar masala dosa will be ready 🙂