Kadale manoli sukka | Kadle manoli recipe with step by step photos:
My mother always includes this spicy side dish in our Ganesh chaturthi festival special lunch menu and also on ugadi.Kadale is chickpeas and in this particular dish it is always black chickpeas and manoli or mannoli refers to ivy gourd.Its a nice combination of boiled chickpeas and ivy gourd with lots of spices and roasted coconut.
Ivy gourd/tindora – 200 gms
dry byadgi red chillies – 7 to 8
oil – 3 tbsp
coriander seeds – 2 tsp
cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
methi seeds – 10 to 12
cinnamon – 2 small sticks
cloves – 3
curry leaves – 20
shredded coconut – 1 cup
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
urad dal – 1 tsp
crushed garlic cloves – 5
onion – 1
black chickpeas – 1 cup
salt – as per taste
turmeric powder – a pinch
- Soak black chickpeas in water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas with 1/2 tsp of salt,in pressure cooker on high flame for 3 whistles and then simmer for another 4 whistles.Once the pressure releases, drain the water and take only the cooked chickpeas.Keep it aside in a bowl.You can use reserved water for making rasam.
- Thin slit the tindora or ivy gourd vertically into 4 pieces.Add sliced tindora to pressure cooker along with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 cup of water.Pressure cook for only 1 whistle.Keep aside the pressure cooked tindora.
- In a pan roast 7 to 8 byadgi red chillie with or without oil.Keep aside the roasted chillies and into the same pan add 2 tsp of coriander seeds,1/2 tsp of cumin seeds,10 to 12 methi seeds,2 small sticks of cinnamon and 3 cloves.Also add 10 curry leaves.Dry roast them for 3 to 4 minutes on low flame.
- Keep aside the roasted whole spices and into the same pan add 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut.Dry roast the coconut on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now,except the roasted coconut,transfer rest of the roasted ingredients or whole spices into a blending jar and grind into a very fine powder.
- Next,keep another saute pan on stove and heat 3 tbsp of oil.
- To the hot oil,add a tsp of mustard seeds.Once it starts spluttering,add 1 tsp of urad dal and 6 to 7 roughly chopped curry leaves.
- Add 5 crushed garlic cloves and saute them for a minute.
- Further add 1 finely chopped onion and fry until it turns translucent.Next add the powdered masala and mix well.
- Add pressure cooked chickpeas and tindora.Mix with the masala.
- Add salt as per taste.Salt was added while pressure cooking tindora and chickpeas separately in cooker.
- Add a pinch of tumeric powder and mix well.
- Finally add dry roasted coconut and give a good mix.
- Cook on low flame for about 3 minutes and our delicious kadale(chickpea) manoli(tindora) sukka(dry) will be ready to serve 🙂
Step by step photos:
Dry roast byadgi chillies and rest of the whole spices with or without oil separately and keep them aside. In the same pan dry roast 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut.Except coconut add rest of the roasted ingredients into a blending jar and grind into a fine powder.
Next,in a pan heat 3 tbsp of oil and add mustard seeds,urad dal,curry leaves and crushed garlic cloves.Fry for a minute.Further add 1 finely chopped onion and fry until it turns translucent.Add prepared masala powder and mix well.Now add pressure cooked chickpeas and tindora and mix well with the masala.Adjust salt and add a pinch of salt.Mix well and finally add dry roasted coconut.Give a good mix and cook on low flame for 3 minutes.Serve this delicious kadle manoli sukka as a side dish in your lunch menu 🙂