Kajjaya Recipe | Athirasa recipe | Adhirasam recipe with step by step photos:
Kajjaya or Athirasa is a traditional rice based sweet which is a tricky thing to do.It is not as easy as it actually seems to be.The main ingredients required for making kajjaya are rice and jaggery,however depending on the taste and preference some people add pepper powder and some add sesame seeds too.And also,there are 3 variations in a kajjaya recipe though the taste seems same in all 3 variations.In order to make no-fail Kajjaya recipe it is important to follow precise measurements and method.In this particular recipe,I have used fresh homemade coconut milk.Kajjaya can also be done without coconut milk or coconut paste.
raw rice/dosa rice – 1 cup
jaggery – 1 cup
fresh homemade coconut milk – 1 cup
black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
ghee – 1/2 tsp
oil – for deep frying
- Soak rice in water for 1 hour.
- Drain water from soaked rice and allow it to dry under shade by spreading it on a dry and clean cloth.
- After an hour of drying under shade transfer the rice to a blending jar or to a manual grinder and make a fine powder if it.
- In order to retain fineness of rice powder,pass it through a sifter and sieve it once.
- Keep the rice powder aside in a bowl.
- Next in a pan heat 1 cup of powdered jaggery along with 1 cup of freshly made coconut milk.
- Jaggery starts melting.Continue to boil the syrup until the point that it can be shaped into a small ball or lump when dropped in cold water.When jaggery syrup reaches this consisteny,add already prepared fine powder of rice.
- It is important to add rice flour gradually and keep stirring it to avoid lumps.
- When the rice flour and syrup are blended together well,add 1/4 tsp of pepper powder and 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.
- Mix well and continue to cook on low flame for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Next,transfer the rice jaggery mixture or the dough onto a tray or a plantain leaf that has been already greased with 1/2 tsp of ghee.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Next,take a plantain leaf or a butter paper,grease it with ghee.
- Pinch a small ball sized dough from the cooled rice jaggery mixture and pat it on the grease butter paper or plantain leaf into a small circular disk of about 1 to 2 inches.
- Keep oil for deep frying in a kadai.Heat it well and slide in the prepared kajjayas to deep fry.
- Fry the kajjayas in low flame on both sides.
- And our ‘bisi bisi (hot) kajjayas’ will be ready to taste 🙂 .
Step by step photos:
Soak 1 cup rice in water for 1 hour. Drain water from soaked rice and spread the rice on a clean cotton cloth and let it dry under shade for 1 hour. Transfer the dried rice into blending jar or into a manual grinder. Make a fine powder of rice and to ensure extra fineness you sieve it once to remove the coarse rice granules. Heat a pan on stove and add 1 cup of jaggery.
Add 1 cup of fresh homemade coconut milk. Boil the syrup until it reaches a consistency that when dropped in cold water it can be shaped into a ball or lump. At this stage,add rice flour little by little and simultaneously stir it to remove any lumps. Add 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder and mix well. Also add 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder an mix. The rice flour and jaggery mixture starts forming a dough like consistency. Turn off he flame and transfer the mixture to a tray that has been greased with 1/2 tsp of ghee. Allow the mixture to cool for 5 – 10 minutes.Take a butter paper,plantain leaf or a polythene sheet and grease it with ghee. Pinch a small portion of the dough and pat it on the grease sheet as shown in the picture Heat oil in a wok or a kadai for deep frying the kajjayas.Once the oil is heated well,slide in the patted kajjayas. Deep fry them on medium heat on both sides and once fried well,remove excess oil by squeezing with help of 2 ladles.These kajjayas can be store in an air tight container up to 10 to 15 days at room temperature.But when I make kajjayas,I make them in small quantities 🙂