Kashmiri Pulao | Shahi Kashmiri Pulao with step by step photos:
Kashmiri foods are always rich with flavours and aroma.Shahi Kashmiri pulao is one such well known rice item that is rich with dry nuts,flavor of saffron,dry fruits and also few selected fruits.In this recipe I have skipped adding fruits as the dry fruits impart a lot of sweetness to the dish.But if you are serving it on a special occasion it is always recommended to add few chopped apple,pineapple or pomegranate seeds to the pulao at the end.
- oil – 1 tbsp
- fenugreek leaves – 1/2 cup
- mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- green chillies – 2
- pepper corns – 1/2 tsp
- ghee – 2 tbsp
- cinnamon – 1 inch
- cloves – 4 to 5
- bay leaves – 2
- fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- onion – 2
- ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- almonds – 1/3 cup
- cashew nuts – 1/3 cup
- raisins – 1/4 cup
- Anjur – 1/2 cup
- Dates(seedless) – 1/2 cup
- Basmati rice or any flavorful rice – 2 cups
- salt – to taste
- water – 3 cups
- saffron – 1/2 tsp
- milk – as required to soak dry nuts and saffron
- Fruits – as per choice – optional
- First in a pan add 1 tbsp of oil and to the hot oil add fenugreek leaves,coriander leaves,mint leaves and green chillies.Suate them for only 2 minutes and transfer to a mixie jar.
- Also add black pepper corns to the mixie jar and grind the mixture into a fine paste.
- Next Heat up 2 tbsps of ghee in a pressure cooker and add cinnamon,cloves and bay leaves in the above mentioned quantity.Also add 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds.
- Saute them for few seconds and add thin sliced onions.It is always desirable to slice the onions thin while using for any rice items.
- Fry onions until they slightly change the color.Onions need not be fried for more than 2 to 3 minutes for this dish.
- Next add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste,stir-fry and then add the prepared green paste.
- Mix well and further add all the above said dry nuts and dry fruits one after the other.Make sure to soak Anjur and Dates atleast for 15 minutes in warm milk.Add them along with the milk.Also it is better to soak dry nuts too for extra taste.
- Mix everything together and add rice.Preferably use Basmati rice or any other flavorful rice of your choice.Just remember that it’s going to be a rich,aromatic kashmiri pulao 🙂 .And yes,soak the rice for 30 minutes before using.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 3 cups of water.Remember we also added the milk that we used for soaking dry fruits.So,3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice should suffice.
- Finally add 1/2 tsp of saffron (soked in milk) to give that royal texture and flavor to the rice.
- There we are almost done ! Just pressure cook on high flame for 2 whistles.And Kashmiri pulao is ready.
- Oh yes!!! the fruits .. you can be little more generous and add chopped fruits of your choice to proudly announce that yours is the best Kashmiri pulao.I personally don’t like the taste of fruits in rice (and I can’t take lessons from my little daughter for mixing fruits with rice 🙁 … ) ,so I have skipped adding fruits here.See below for the step by step photos.
Step by step Photos:
To start with heat up 1 tbsp of oil in a pan.
Add fenugreek leaves.
Also add mint leaves
and coriander leaves
further,add 2 green chillies.
Saute the leaves for only 2 minutes and transfer them to blender.
Along with leaves also add pepper corns and grind them into a fine paste.
Next in a pressure cooker heat up 2 tbsps of ghee.
To the hot ghee add whole spices like cinnamon,cloves and bay leaves.
Also add 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds and saute for few seconds.
Next add thin sliced onion and saute for only 2 to 3 minutes.
Go ahead and add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste.Saute again.
Now add in the green paste that we have prepared.
Stir fry again.
Now add all the dry nuts and dry fruits one by one.
Fry again and mix everything together.Now we can add soaked rice.
Also add salt to taste.
After adding rice its important to fry the rice for 2 minutes so that it adds to the flavor.Now add 3 cups of water.
Finally add saffron soaked in milk.
Pressure cook the rice for 2 whistles on high flame.And thats it !! Our flavorful Kashmiri pulao is ready to serve 🙂