Kundapur Chicken Sukka Recipe | Chicken dry sukka recipe with step by step photos:
Kundapur chicken sukka is a chicken dry item with cooked in a masala paste of whole spices coarsely ground coconut paste.Neer dosa and chicken sukka is a popular non-veg combo in south canara region.Read further to know step by step recipe of chicken sukka.
oil – 5 tbsp
dry red chillies – 6 to 7
pepper corns – 1 tsp
coriander seeds – 3/4 tsp
methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
tamarind – chickpea size
cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
garlic cloves – 7 to 8
fresh shredded coconut – 1 cup
chicken – 300 gms
salt – as per taste
turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
onion – 1/2 cup,finely chopped
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp of oil and roast all the spices : 6 to 7 dry red chillies,1 tsp of pepper corns,3/4 tsp of coriander seeds,1/4 tsp of methi seeds and a chickpea sized tamarind.
- Transfer the roasted and cooled spices to a blending jar,add little water and grind into a fine paste.Keep aside the masala paste.
- In the same pan heat 1 more tbsp of oil and fry 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds,7 to 8 garlic cloves and 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut.Fry them until brown and grind into a coarse paste.Keep aside the coconut,cumin,garlic paste in a bowl.
- Take a wok or a kadai and heat 3 tbsp of oil.
- Add 300 gms medium sized chicken pieces and fry for few minutes.Next add salt,1/3 tsp of turmeric powder,stir once and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes with closed lid.
- After 5 to 6 minutes of cooking on medium flame add finely ground masala paste and mix well with partially cooked chicken pieces.
- Cook again on medium flame for another 5 minutes with lid closed.After 5 minutes,open the lid add 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion and cook until the chicken pieces turn soft.
- Finally add the coarse paste of coconut and mix well.Cook for another 3 minutes on medium flame and our Kori sukka in a typical South Canara style will be ready to serve.
Step by step photos:
In a pan heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry all the apices like dry red chillies,coriander seeds,pepper corns,methi seeds and tamarind. Allow fried ingredients to cool and transfer to a blending jar.Add litlle water and grind into a very fine paste.Keep aside the masala paste in a bowl. In the same pan add 1 more tbsp of oil and fry cumin seeds,garlic cloves and coconut until they turn slightly brown in color.Allow them to cool and transfer to a blending jar.Grind into a coarse paste and keep aside in a bowl. Take a heavy bottomed kadayi or a wok and heat 3 tbsp of oil. Add 300 gms of medium sized chicken pieces and fry for 2-3 minutes. After frying for 2 to 3 minutes,add salt and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.Mix well and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes with lid closed. After 5 minutes of cooking on a medium flame add finely ground masala paste and stir well.Cook again for another 5 minutes with lid closed.Next add 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion and mix well.Close the lid and cook on medium flame until chicken pieces become soft and are cooked nicely.
Finally add coarsely ground coconut,cumin and garlic paste and mix well.Cook for another 3 minutes on medium flame and our Kori sukka will be ready!