My last post was on leftover rice roti 😉 …it seems the rice is still remaining ..lol .. How about making chakli this time ? Crispy and crunchy leftover rice chakli .Try the recipe and serve the chakli’s to your family ..I am sure nobody would recognize the main ingredient behind this chakli 🙂 ..leftover rice !! … Don’t tell them ..its a secret !!
In south India an authentic chakli is done by taking rice flour,urad dal flour and butter as main ingredients.Of course,we add sesame,cumin,salt,etc..I have also seen people adding maida to chakli dough.In my opinion,maida or all purpose flour is a strict ‘No’ for making chakli’s.It will only make the chaklis chewy instead of crispy and crunchy.If it is for binding then we can still do that using gram flour and butter.That is what I have done in this recipe.So lets see the ingredients required.Oh! by the way ..If you have skipped to read yesterday’s post here is the link for leftover rice roti : https://goo.gl/6GWHHv.
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- gram flour – 1/4 cup
- rice flour – 1/2 cup
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida -1/4 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- white sesame seeds-1/2 tsp
- carom seeds – 1/4 tsp
- butter – 1.5 to 2 tbsp
- oil – for deep frying the chaklis
- Grind the cooked rice into a fine paste without adding water.The moisture in rice should be sufficient for grinding it but if you find it too dry then add 1 or 2 tbsp of milk while grinding.
- Transfer the rice paste to a mixing bowl.To the same bowl add 1/4 cup of gram flour and 1/2 cup of rice flour.Gram flour will help in binding and rice flour will make the chakli’s crispy.
- Also add salt and red chilli powder 1/2 tsp each or as per taste.
- Next add asafoetida,turmeric powder,white sesame seeds and carom seeds in above mentioned quantities.
- Mix everything together and add butter.
- Mix and knead the mixture to get a soft dough.
- Grease the inner surface of chakli maker and fill the dough inside.
- Press chakli on a butter paper or a parchment paper.
- Deep fry the chakli’s on both sides in hot oil.Keep the flame medium to get an even texture.
- Crispy and crunchy chakli’s are ready 🙂
Step by step photos:
Grind 1 cup of cooked rice in a mixie jar without adding water.For more amount rice you can proportionately vary the quantities of remaining ingredients.Add 1/4 cup of gram flour and 1/2 cup of rice flour.Also add 1/2 cup of rice flour.Add 1/2 tsp of salt,red chilli powder and white sesame seeds each and also 1/4 tsp of asafoetida,turmeric powder and carom seeds.Mix everything together and add 1.5 to 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.Mix again and knead the mixture until you get a soft dough.Grease the chalki maker with oil and fill it with dough.Press chakli on a butter paper or a parchment paper.Fry the chakli’s in hot oil on medium flame on both sides until they are fried well.And our crispy and crunchy Cooked rice chakli will be ready 🙂