Lemon rasam recipe | Limbe saaru | rasam recipe with step by step photos and detailed recipe:
Limbe saaru that’s what we call it in Kannada 🙂 .I made this lemon rasam the day after punjabi thali meals.I had to somehow compensate for the heavy punjabi meals that we had.And lemon rasam was the perfect choice.The day after punjabi meals our lunch menu was a simple lemon rasam and beetroot chutney with steaming hot rice :).I also make this rasam whenever any of my family members are suffering from cold and fever.It is a good home remedy for lost of appetite too.Other rasam recipes that I suggest you to read are pepper rasam,kerala style rasam,tomato saaru and dal rasam.
Lemon rasam is an instant rasam that doesn’t use dal,tamarind or even tomato.I have already shared the recipe for rasam powder.I used same rasam powder while making this lemon rasam.So lets see how easy and quick it is to make lemon rasam.
- lemon juice – 10 to 12 tsp
- jaggery – small lime sized
- green chillies – 2 to 3
- rasam powder – 1 tsp
- water – 3 cups
- asafoetida – a pinch
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- sal to taste
- curry leaves – 10
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- ghee – 1/2 tsp
- coriander leaves – 1 or 2 tbsp
- Keep 3 cups of water for boiling in a sauce pot.Add thin slit green chillies,asafoetida,turmeric powder,rasam powder,jaggery and salt while boiling the water.Let it boil for at least 6 to 7 minutes and then turn off the flame.
- After turning off the flame,add lime juice.After we add lime juice to any curry or rasam we should not boil it again as that will make bitterness get too strong.Stir the rasam after adding lime juice and close it with a lid.
- For tempering heat up 1/2 tsp of ghee and add 1 tsp of cumin seeds and few curry leaves.Add this rasam and immediately close with a lid.After a minute or so,open the lid and add few chopped coriander leaves.
- Thats all we need to do for a tasty and refreshing lemon rasam or limbe saaru 🙂
step by step photos:
Keep 3 cups of water for boiling and add 2 to 3 slit green chillies,1/2 tsp of turmeric powder,a pinch of asafoetida,a tsp of rasam powder, some salt to taste and a small lime sized jaggery.
Allow it to boil in medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes.
After boiling the rasam for 6 to 7 minutes turn off the flame and add 10 tsp of lime juice. Stir once and temper it with cumin seeds and curry leaves in 1/2 tsp of ghee.
Finally add few chopped coriander leaves and serve the rasam with steaming hot rice 🙂 .You can have it like soup also without any rice and it tastes perfectly fine(tangy and spicy 🙂 ..) !!