Malpua Recipe – using milk powder | Instant Malpua recipe with step by step photos:
Malpua is originally from North Indian Regions,however within the regions of North India,there are different versions of malpua.Hopefully I will post all different versions of malpua in future.I have already posted our South Canara version of this recipe,which is popular by the name Malpuri.Today I made an instant and easy malpua using milk powder.It was absolutely delicious! I have used maida(all purpose flour) in making this malpua.You can also try it with wheat flour.
milk powder – 1 cup
maida – 1 cup
milk – 1.5 cups
cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
sugar – 1.5 cups
water – 1 .5 cups
ghee – 1 cup – for frying malpua’s
- In a mixing bowl take 1 cup of milk powder and 1 cup of maida.Mix them well.
- Add 1.5 cups of milk little at a time and whisk well for about 5 minutes to make a pouring consistency batter.
- Keep aside the batter for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile,prepare sugar syrup by boiling 1.5 cups of sugar in 1.5 cups of water.Stir until sugar melts.After sugar is meted completely,boil the syrup for 3 minutes more until the syrup turns a sticky consistency.Remember not to boil it until it reaches single thread consistency.
- Turn off the flame and add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder to the syrup.Mix well.
- After 30 minutes of resting the batter,whisk it again for few minutes.
- Heat 1 cup of ghee in a pan on low flame.Take a small ladle full of batter and slowly drop it in hot ghee without spreading it.Since the batter is of pouring consistency,it will automatically spread itself in ghee and attains a poori shape.Fry the malpuas on both sides in low flame and remove them while squeezing the excess ghee.
- Drop the fried malpuas in prepared sugar syrup for 2 to 3 minutes and then they are ready to plate.Garnish them on top by sprinkling finely chopped dry nuts like cashew nuts,pistachio or almonds.
Step by step photos:
Mix 1 cup each of milk powder and maida in a bowl and add 1.5 cups of milk,little at a time,and prepare a pouring consistency batter.Keep aside the batter for 30 minutes. To prepare sugar syrup boil 1.5 cups of sugar in 1.5 cups of water,until sugar melts completely.After sugar is completely melt,boil for 3 more minutes but make sure the syrup does not reach any single thread consistency.
Turn off the flame and add 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder and mix. After 30 minutes of resting the batter whisk it again for few minutes and drop ladle full of batter in hot ghee. Fry the malpuas in low flame on both sides and squeeze excess ghee and transfer them into the sugar syrup. Soak the malpuas in sugar syrup for 2 minutes and plate them. Garnish on top with some finely chopped dry nuts.
Delicious,easy and instant milk powder malpua will be ready to serve 🙂