Mangalore cucumber sambar|Soutekayi huli recipe with step by step photos:
Mangalore cucumber sambar called as Soutekayi Huli in Udupi-mangalore regions is basically a coconut and masala based gravy or curry with yellow cucumber as main ingredient.This is almost mandatory to be served in Hindu wedding ceremonies,celebrations or festivals in coastal Karnataka regions.One of my personal favorite too 🙂 .
If you order for a south Indian thali in any udupi restaurant you are sure to get this sambar in your thali and if you don’t see this,then that is not a udupi style thali 🙂 .A typical mangalore cucumber sambar is made little sweet,slightly tangy(huli) and has a well balanced mix of spices.I have made this sambar with dal but if you wish to skip dal,then increase the amount of jaggery and tamarind.
- coriander seeds – 1.5 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- split black gram(urad dal)-1/2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds(methi seeds)-6 to 7
- dry red chillies – 5
- oil – 1 tsp
- fresh shredded coconut – 1 cup
- Mangalore cucumber(yellow cucumber)- 2 cups ,with peels
- jaggery – 2 to 3 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind juice – 2 tbsp
- split red gram (toor dal) -1/2 cup
- To temper : oil -1 tsp ,mustard seeds – 1 tsp ; curry leaves – 10
- Soak toor dal for 30 minutes and then pressure cook with 1.5 cups of water and keep aside the pressure cooked dal.
- Firstly,to prepare the masala,roast 1.5 tsp of coriander seeds,1/2 tsp of cumin seeds,1/2 tsp of urad dal,6 to 7 fenugreek seeds and 5 dry red chillies. Optionally you can add a tsp of oil while roasting the spices.Allow all the roasted spices to cool and then add them to a blending jar.Also add 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut and little water and grind it into a very fine masala paste.
- Next,in a wok take 2 cups of mangalore cucumber.Typically we retain the peels too while making this sambar,but that’s optional.
- Add 1.5 cups of water,2 to 3 tsps of jaggery,1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and cook it on medium flame with lid closed.Cook until cucumber is partially cooked.Once it is almost 50% cooked,add salt to taste.
- Also add 2 tbsp of tamarind juice and already prepared masala.Also add pressure cooked dal and water to adjust the gravy consistency.
- Continue to cook cucumber in medium flame along with gravy for 5 more minutes.Keep stirring in between and check gravy consistency.
- Finally for tempering heat up 1 tsp of oil and add a tsp of mustard seeds and few curry leaves,fry for few seconds and add this to sambhar.
Step by step photos:
In a pan roast dry chillies,coriander seeds,methi seeds,urad dal and cumin seeds with a tsp of oil.Roast well all the spices and allow them to cool.Grind the roasted and cooled spices to a coarse powder first. Add 1 cup fresh shredded coconut to the same blending jar along with little water and grind again to get a smooth and fine masala paste. In a wok take 2 cups of cucumber (roughly chopped) with peels and add 1.5 cups of water. Also add 2 to 3 tsp of jaggery and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder.Cook until the cucumber is partially cooked about 50%. Once cucumber is half cooked,add salt,2 tbsp of tamarind juice and already prepared masala. Add pressure cooked dal and water and adjust gravy consistency. Cook again for 5 more minutes on medium flame. Finally add a tempering of mustard seeds and curry leaves fried in oil. That’s all ! Our udupi-mangalore style soutekayi huli or Mangalore cucumber sambar will be ready to serve.