Mangalorean Egg Burji | Egg burji recipe with step by step photos:
Egg burji or anda burji is a popular quick egg dish.It is typically served with roti’s or chapati.But the recipe that I am going to present in this post goes well with neer dosa than roti’s 🙂 The recipe is more or less similar to Mangalorean Kori sukka where we grind coconut coarsely along with few roasted whole spices like red chillies,coriander and cumin seeds etc.Its a quick recipe to make.
- eggs – 5
- oil – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
- dry red chillies – 5
- cinnamon – 1/2 inch
- cloves – 2
- cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- methi seeds – 3 to 4
- shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- crushed garlic – 4 to 5
- onion,finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- tomato,finely chopped – 1 cup
- salt – to taste
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- In a pan heat 1 tsp of oil and fry red chillies,coriander seeds,cumin seeds,methi seeds,cinnamon and cloves for 3 to 4 minutes on medium flame.Allow the fried whole spices to cool and then transfer them to a blending jar.
- Also add 1/2 cup of fresh shredded coconut and little water.Grind the mixture into a coarse masala paste and keep it aside.
- Next heat 2 tbsp of oil in pan and add mustard seeds.Once they start spluttering add crushed garlic cloves and fry.
- Next add finely chopped onion and fry again for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add finely chopped tomato(all measurements as mentioned above) and 1/2 tsp of salt.Also add turmeric powder and cook the tomatoes until they turn soft and pulpy.
- Next add the prepared masala and fry it on medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Beat 5 eggs into the pan and scramble them well.Cook them on low flame for another 4 to 5 minutes.Adjust salt as per taste.And our Udupi Mangalore style egg burji will be ready to serve.Goes well with ganji or neer dosa.This egg burji can also be served as a side dish for white rice.
Step by step photos:
In a pan heat up 1 tsp of oil and fry dry red chillies,coriander seeds,cumin seeds,methi seeds,cinnamon and cloves for 2 to 3 minutes. Allow fried spices to cool and then transfer them to a blending jar.Add 1/2 cup of fresh shredded coconut and little water. Grind them into a coarse masala paste. Next in the same pan,heat up 2 tbsp of oil and add a tsp of mustard seeds.Once they start spluttering add 4 to 5 crushed garlic and fry for few seconds. Next add finely chopped onion and fry well. Add finely chopped tomato,salt and turmeric powder and fry until tomatoes turn soft and mushy. Next add already prepared masala.adjust salt as per taste.Stir fry the masala for 4 to 5 minutes on medium flame.
Beat 5 eggs into the pan and scramble them.Cook on low flame for another 4 to 5 minutes. Optionally you can squeeze some lemon juice at the end.This egg burji goes well with neer dosa and as a side dish with rice too 🙂