milk bonda recipe | sweet bonda recipe | vada recipe | paala ponganalu with step by step photos:
Milk bonda is a traditional,old and forgotten recipe from South Canara region.A recipe that I have learnt from my mother 🙂 It looks very simple yet tastes simply delicious.Deep fried urad dal bondas are soaked in coconut milk boiled with jaggery.In contrast to Sambar Vada,here we make the bondas(or you can even make vadas) sweet rather than spicy.You can’t decide whether it tastes like a kheer or a bonda..however it is,a must try recipe !
urad dal – 1/2 cup
thin coconut milk – 1 cup
jaggery – 1 cup
salt – a pinch
thick coconut milk – 1 cup
cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
ghee – 2 tsp
almonds – 1 tbsp
pistachio – 1 tbsp
cashew nuts – 1 tbs
raisins – 1 tbsp
- Firstly,in a bowl take 1/2 cup of urad dal and soak it in water for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours of soaking the urad dal,drain the water and grind urad dal into a fine paste without water adding water.It should be a fine but thick batter.
- Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl and beat or whisk it continuously for 3 to 5 minutes.Whisking helps in the bondas to puff while frying in oil.
- In a small wok or a sauce pot take 1 cup of thin coconut milk and add 1 cup of powdered jaggery. Boil on medium to low flame until jaggery melts.Since we are using coconut milk we need to add a pinch of salt too to enhance the taste.
- Once the jaggery is melted completely add 1 cup of thick coconut milk and 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.Boil on low flame for 2 more minutes and turn off the flame.
- Finally and optionally 🙂 we can fry some chopped dry nuts like cashew nuts,almonds,pistachios and also raisins in 2 tsp of ghee and add to the prepared sweet coconut milk.
- With urad dal batter make small bondas and fry in hot oil on medium flame.Transfer them on a kitchen tissue and remove the excess oil.
- In a serving bowl first arrange the bondas and then pour the sweet coconut milk.Let the bondas soak in milk for about 15 minutes before you serve these delicious milk bondas!
Step by step photos:
Soak 1/2 cup of urad dal in water for 4 hours. Grind soaked urad dal into a fine batter without adding any water.Whisk or beat the batter for 3 to 5 minutes.Keep aside the batter to make bondas later.
In a sauce pot boil 1 cup of thin coconut milk on low to medium flame. Add 1 cup of powdered jaggery. Boil until jaggery melts completely. Also add a pinch of salt. Once the jaggery is melted completely,add 1 cup of thick coconut milk. And add 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder. Boil for 2 more minutes on low flame. To enhance the taste fry some chopped cashew nuts,almonds,pistachio and raisins in 2 tsp of ghee and pour it on sweet coconut milk. Now,with the prepared urad dal batter pinch small portions and fry some bondas.To remove excess oil from bondas transfer them onto a kitchen tissue before serving. Arrange the bondas in a serving bowl,and pour the sweet coconut milk on top. Let the bondas soak in milk for 15 minutes before serving them.