Mirchi ka salan | Salan for biryani | Salan recipe with step by step photos:
Whenever you order for a dum biryani in restaurants they serve a gravy with it which is creamy,thick and super tasty! That’s what I am going to post today – Mirchi ka salan.There is another version of salan using bhindi or okra.I will be posting the recipe soon.Today,lets see how to make mirchi ka salan.I would also suggest you to go through quick chicken biryani recipe and veg dum biryani recipe.
Ingredients to prepare dry masala:
peanuts – 1 tbsp
coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
cumin seeds – 1 tsp
sesame seeds – 1 tsp
coconut – 2 tbsp
bhavnagari mirchi/bajji mirchi- 4
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
curry leaves – 6 to 7
ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
onion – 1,finely chopped
red chilli powder – 1 tsp
cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
green chillies – 2
salt – as per taste
curd – 1/2 cup
mint leaves – 1 tbsp
coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Firstly dry roast all the ingredients mentioned above for dry masala and then transfer to them to a blending jar.Grind them into a fine powder and keep aside.
- Slit mirchis on one side remove the seeds.
- Heat 3 to 4 tbsp of oil in a pan or wok and shallow fry the mirchis.Keep aside the fried mirchis.
- To the same hot oil add 1 tsp of mustard seeds and once they start spluttering add 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds,6 to 7 curry leaves and fry.Next add 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste and 1 finely chopped onion and saute until onion turns translucent.
- Further,add 1 tsp of red chilli powder,1/4 tsp of cumin powder,1/4 tsp of coriander powder,1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and 2 thin slit green chillies.Fry them well.
- Next,add dry roasted and powdered masala and mix well.Add about 1.5 to 2 cups of water and salt as per taste.
- Cook on low flame for 20 minutes.In between open the lid and stir the gravy.
- After 20 minutes boiling on low flame the gravy thickens.Now add 1/2 cup of curd.
- Also add 1 tbsp pf mint leaves and 1 tbsp of coriander leaves.Stir well.
- Finally add the fried chillies.Cook for 2 more minutes on low flame and our mirchi ka salan will be ready.
- Serve it with any flavored rice or biryani.
Step by step photos:
Dry roast all the ingredients required for masala powder in a pan and transfer them into a blending jar. Grind them into fine powder. Slit the mirchis and remove the seeds. Fry the mirchies in a pan and keep fried mirchies aside on a plate. To the remaining oil,add 1 tsp of mustard seeds.Once they start spluttering add 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds,6 to 7 curry leaves,a tsp of ginger garlic paste and 1 finely chopped onion.Fry them well and add spices like red chilli powder,cumin powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and 2 slit green chillies. Next add powdered masala and mix well. Add about 2 cups of water and give a stir. Add salt as per taste. Cook the gravy on low flame for 20 minutes.Gracy thickens and releases oil.Add 1/2 cup of curd and continue on low flame. Add 1 tbsp of fresh mint leaves and coriander leaves each. Add fried chillies and cook on low flame for 2 more minutes. Serve this salan with biryani or any other flavored rice 🙂