This is one veg gravy recipe that I always include in our lunch menu for any guests.. Mushroom masala 🙂 .. my all time favorite.I make this at least once in a week,and every time I try making changes to the recipe.The rich masala gravy goes well with any type of roti,white rice and even dosas. Mushrooms are easier to cook,they don’t take much time. In fact,they turn kind of rubbery if you cook it for a long time.Lets see how to make this easy and rich mushroom curry recipe.Its going to be a spicy mushroom gravy if you follow the measurements exactly how I have mentioned here.But you can adjust the measurements as per your personal choice.
- button mushroom – 200 gms
- capsicum – 1
- onions – 2
- tomatoes – 2
- green chillies – 2
- cloves – 2 to 3
- cinnamon – 1 inch
- bay leaf – 1
- cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
- cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- salt – as per taste
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- cumin powder – 1/3 tsp
- coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- dry fenugreek leaves(kasoori methi) – 1 tsp
- chopped coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
- In a saute pan heat up 2 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is heated well,add cloves,cinnamon and bay leaf.
- Next add 2 medium sized chopped onions.
- Fry the onions for 2 to 3 minutes until they slightly change the color.
- Next add 2 medium sized tomatoes that are roughly chopped.
- Also add 2 thin slit green chillies.
- Stir fry until the tomatoes shrink.This should take another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Allow the fried ingredients to cool and then transfer them to a mixie jar.
- Also add 2 tbsps of cashew nuts that were soaked in water for 10 minutes.Cashew nuts gives a thick rich texture to the gravy and adds to the taste.
- Grind it into a fine masala paste and keep aside the masala.
- Next in a kadai or a wok heat up 2 tbsp of oil.
- To the hot oil add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Once they start spluttering add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste.
- Next add the mushrooms that are cut into equal length and fry them for a minute.
- Also add 1 medium sized capsicum that is roughly chopped .Adding capsicum is optional.You can also replace capsicum with Potato in which case it would take slightly more time for frying.
- As you stir fry the mushrooms it leaves out water.Fry it for atleast 3 minutes or until the watery content dries out.
- Next add the spices and salt.Add salt as per your preference,1/2 tsp of coriander powder,1/3 tsp of cumin powder,1 tsp of red chilli powder and of course 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder. Stir fry again for 1 or 2 minutes and then add masala.
- Add little water and the masala water and adjust the gravy consistency.Since we have added cashew nuts to the masala, gravy thickens faster.So accordingly you can add water.And after adding masala it is important to cook it in low flame to avoid having a dry gravy.
- Cook the mushroom with masala for 5 minutes in low flame.
- After 5 minutes open the lid and add 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder and 1 tsp crushed kasoori methi or dry fenugreek leaves.Mix it well and cook on low flame or 1 more minute.
- Turn off the flame and sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Our tasty,spicy,rich mushroom masala gravy will be ready to serve.
Step by step photos:
Heat up oil in a pan.
Add an inch size of cinnamon.
Add a bay leaf.
Further add 2 medium sized onions that are chopped.
Fry the onions for 2 to 3 minutes until they slightly change in color.
Now add 2 tomatoes roughly chopped.
Also add 2 green chillies that are thin sliced.
Fry until the tomatoes shrink.
Allow the fried ingredients to cool and then transfer them to the jar.
Also add 2 tbsps of cashew nuts that were soaked in water for 10 minutes.
Keep aside the masala. Next in a wok or kadai heat up 2 tbsps of oil.
Once the oil is heated well add,1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
Also add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
Once they start spluttering add,1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste and fry for few seconds.
Now add mushroom that are cut into equal lengths.
Fry the mushrooms for a minute and then add 1 roughly chopped capsicum.
Close the wok with a lid and let the mushrooms get cooked for minimum 3 minutes or until the water content is dried up.Next add salt to taste.
Also add 1/3 tsp of turmeric powder.
Add 1/3 tsp of cumin powder.
Add 1/2 tsp red coriander powder.
And finally add 1 tsp red chilli powder.
Stir fry once and add the masala.Add masala water and more water of required to adjust the gravy consistency.
Cook it low flame for 5 minutes under closed lid.After 5 minutes open the lid,stir the gravy once and add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder.
Finally adding 1 tsp of crushed kasoori methi or dry fenugreek leaves will enhance the flavor.
Cook in low flame for 1 more minute and we are done.Finish it off by sprinkling few chopped coriander leaves about 1 tbsp.
And our spicy mushroom gravy is ready to serve 🙂
Serve it with white rice or rotis and enjoy 🙂