Neeru dosa or Neer dosa , a pride of Udupi-Mangalore cuisine is popular all over India.This is one breakfast item that is prepared atleast 3 days in a week in Udupi Mangalore and surrounding regions.Making Neeru dosa can be as simple as drinking Neeru(water) 🙂 provided you follow the correct measurements and add right quantity of ‘neeru'(water) to dosa batter.So lets see how to make Neer dosa !!
- Raw rice(dosa rice) – 2 cups
- Fresh and shredded coconut -1 cup
- Salt – 1.5 tsp or as per taste
- oil – for making dosa(not more than 1/4 tsp of oil for each dosa)
- Water (an important ingredient in making neer dosa 😉 ) – 2.5 to 3 cups
- Soak rice in water for minimum of 4 to 6 hours or over night.
- Drain the water from soaked rice, wash the rice again and transfer the rice to a mixie jar.
- Add 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut to the jar.
- Also add salt as per taste.Salt can added just before making dosas too.
- Grind the rice into very fine batter.Even a minute rice granule should be avoided to get a perfectly soft neer dosa.
- Add water to the batter and make it a watery batter.Initially you can try by adding 2.5 cups of water and once you learn how to make dosa you can increase the amount of water upto 3 cups(for 2 cups of rice).
- Spread the batter as a very thin layer on the tawa. Authentically neer dosa is done on a cast iron tawa that is exclusively meant for making neerdosas. But you can also use a non-stick tawa.For the exact demonstration on how to spread the batter watch this video:https://goo.gl/NttEj1.Cover the tawa with a lid for about 30 seconds.
- Each dosa takes hardly 30 seconds to get cooked on hot cast iron tawa provided it is spread very thin.
- Remove dosa with the help of a spatula and keep it on a plate upside down.Now fold dosa twice giving it a triangle shape.
- Serve it with coconut chutney and if you are a non-vegetarian you would love it with Kori gasi.Click here for the recipe : https://goo.gl/Ho2CPG
Step by step photos
Take raw rice in a bowl.
Add water and soak the rice for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours and a maximum of 8 hours.
Take the soaked rice,drain all the water,wash the rice well and then add it to a mixie jar.
Also add 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut.Coconut enhances the taste.
Add required quantity of salt while or after grinding the batter.
Add about 1/2 cup of water and grind the rice into a very fine batter.
Transfer the batter to a vessel.Add 2.5 to 3 cups of water to the batter and make it a watery consistency.
Spread very little oil about 1/4 tsp onto the hot cast iron tawa that is meant for making neer dosa.If you don’t have this tawa you can use any nonstick tawa also.
Spread a very thin layer of batter on tawa as shown below.
Cover the tawa with a lid for about 1/2 a minute and after 1/2 a minute open the lid and remove dosa from tawa.
Transfer dosa onto a plate upside down and then fold it twice to give it a triangular shape.This is how an authentic neer dosa is served.Have neer dosa with coconut chutney or Kori gasi and enjoy !