This is a derived recipe from the very famous tulunadu recipe Bangude pulimunchi.I have already uploaded the recipe for both bangude pulimunchi and prawns pulimunchi.Paneer pulimunchi falls to the same group of pulimunchi’s ,the only difference being it would become a cherished paneer side-dish for vegetarians too 🙂 .It can be a good supplement for all those vegetarians who always wondered about the popularity of pulimunchi.But beware it’s too spicy 😉
Here comes a detailed recipe with step by step photos.You can vary the measurements according to your personal choice.So lets not drag it further..Here comes the list of ingredients:
- Paneer/Cottage cheese – 200 gms , cut into cubes
- red chilli powder – 1/3 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 + 1/4 tsps
- lime juice – 1 tsp
- dry red chillies – 6 to 7
- coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/3 tsp
- pepper corns – 8 to 10
- cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- fenugreek seeds – 10
- onion – 1 medium sized or about 1/3 cup
- tamarind – 1 inch sized
- garlic cloves – 7
- oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
- curry leaves – 10
- salt – as per taste
- First step is to marinate the paneer cubes.In a bowl take 1/2 tsp salt,1/3 tsp of red chilli powder,1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of lime juice.Mix everything together.
- Add paneer cubes and mix it well giving a nice coating of the marinade to the paneer cubes.
- Keep aside the paneer cubes for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile for preparing the masala,we start by roasting the dry red chillies in a pan.You can take as per your spice preference.Pulimunchi is meant to be spicy and tangy, and hence about 6 to 7 dry red chillies should be the perfect measurement.
- Keep aside the dry roasted red chillies and in the same pan dry roast the remaining spices.Add about 1 tsp of coriander seeds,1/3 tsp of mustard seeds,8 to 10 black pepper corns, 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds,and 8 to 10 fenugreek seeds.Dry roast them all in low flame without burning them.Once they are all roasted well allow them to cool and then transfer them to a mixie jar along with dry roasted red chillies.
- Also add 6 to 7 garlic cloves ,an inch size of tamarind and 1 medium sized onion to the mixie jar.Add little water and grind the masala to a very fine paste.Keep aside the masala paste.We will use it little later.
- Now take the marinated paneer cubes and fry them in a pan with about 2 tbsp of oil.Fry them on low flame on both sides.This should take about 3 minutes.Keep aside the fried paneer cubes.
- Next in the same pan ,add 1 more tbsp of oil.Adding oil again is optional.To the hot oil add 10 curry leaves roughly chopped.Next add the masala and fry in low flame.Add littler water and adjust the gravy consistency as per your preference.But remember,an authentic pulimunchi gravy is always thick.
- Once the gravy is boiled ,add the fried paneer cubes.You can add salt and about 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder either now or before adding paneer to the masala.Mix everything together and cook for 1 minute in medium to low flame and our Paneer pulimunchi will be ready to serve 🙂 ! The spicy and tangy masala blends very well with the mild taste of paneer.For more detailed step by step recipe see the pictures below.
Step by Step Photos:
1.To start with take 1/2 tsp of salt in bowl.
2.Further,add 1/3 tsp red chilli powder.
3.Also add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder.
4.And finally add 1 tsp of lime juice and mix well.
4.Once the marinade is ready,add paneer cubes and give a nice coating of the masala to paneer cubes.Keep aside the marinated paneer cubes for 10 miuntes.
5.While the paneer cubes are getting marinated,we can prepare the masala for pulimunchi.In a pan dry roast about 6 to 7 dry red chillies.
6.Keep aside the roasted dry red chillies aside, and in the same pan dry roast 1 tsp of coriander seeds,1/3 tsp of mustard seeds,9 to 10 pepper corns,1/2 tsp of cumin seeds and 7 to 8 fenugreek seeds.Dry roast them all in low flame.
7.Allow all the spices to cool and then transfer them to a mixie jar along with a medium sized onion,7 garlic cloves and an inch size of tamarind.Add little water and grind them into a very fine masala paste.
8.Keep aside the masala and proceed towards frying the marinated paneer cubes.In a pan heat up 2 tbsp of oil and marinated paneer cubes to it.
9.Fry the paneer cubes on low flame for 3 minutes and remove them from pan.Next to the same pan and to the remaining oil,add 1 more tbsp of oil.Wait until oil is heated well.
10.Once the oil heated well, roughly chop or break 10 curry leaves and add.
11.Next add already prepared masala paste and fry it well in low flame.Add little water and adjust the consistency.
12.Boil the gravy in low flame for 3 minutes.Add required amount of salt and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and stir well.
13.Now is the time to add fried paneer cubes and mix well.after adding paneer stir the gravy for about a minute in low flame.And there you are ready with mouthwatering paneer pulimunchi. Serve it with white rice or roti.