Paper Dosa Recipe | Hotel style Paper Dosa with step by step photos:
This was a requested recipe pending on our channel from a long time.Here I present a perfectly crispy,wafer like restaurant style Paper dosa recipe.I have used all purpose flour or maida for the batter as it is done typically in any restaurant.You can definitely avoid using maida if you wish so.Other than that,just take care while maintaining dosa batter consistency.Do not make the batter very thin as it would result in a sticky dosa.Serve these delicious and cripsy dosas with coconut chuntey and sambar for a perfect restaurant style taste.And not to forget, the batter needs to be fermented well for a perfect texture.
raw rice/dosa rice – 2 cups
urad dal/split black gram – 1/2 cup
moong dal/split green gram – 1/4 cup
maida/all purpose flour – 1/2 cup
rice flour – 1/2 cup
salt – as per taste
oil – to make dosas
ghee- to spread over dosa
- Firstly, wash rice well,at least 3 to 4 times and then soak in water for 4 hours.
- In a separate bowl,take 1/2 cup of urad dal and 1/4 cup of moong dal.Wash them together atleast 3 to 4 times and drain thw water.Soak in clean water for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours transfer soaked dals into a grinding jar and grind into a very fine batter.Initially maintain a thick consistency of the batter.Later we can add the required quantity of water.Use soaked water while grinding as it would help in a better fermentation.
- Transfer the urad dal and moong dal batter to a bowl.Now to the same grinding jar add soaked rice along with required quantity of water and grind again into a very fine batter.
- Add the rice batter into the same bowl and mix both batters.If required add little water and bring the batter into right consistency.It is important to whisk the batter for 5 to 10 minutes vigourously.Cover the bowl with a lid and allow the batter to ferment for 10 to 12 hours.Keep the bowl in a warm place.
- In a separate bowl, take 1/2 cup each of all purpose flour and rice flour.Add 1 cup of water gradually and mix well to make a no lump batter.Keep this batter also for fermentation for 10 to 12 hours.
- The next morning mix both the batters,add salt as per taste and whisk again for 5 minutes.
- Heat a dosa tawa or pan and spread few drops of oil before making first dosa. From second dosa on wards,you don’t have to spread oil before spreading the batter,instead spread oil or ghee on top of the dosa after spreading the batter.
- Spread oil evenly with kitchen tissue and take 1 or 2 ladleful of dosa batter.Spread it thin and large as shown in the pictures below.
- On top spread a tsp of ghee for that extra flavor and taste.Cook on low flame for at least 2 minutes or until dosa becomes crispy and gets a nice brown color on one side.Fold dosa gently and serve hot with chutney and sambar 🙂
Step by step photos:
Wash 2 cups of raw rice 3 to 4 times and soak in water for 4 hours.
Add 1/2 cup of urad dal into a separate bowl. To the same bowl add 1/4 cup of moong dal.Wash both dals together 3 to 4 times and soak in water for 4 hours. After 4 hours,first grind dals together into very fine batter.Transfer the batter to a large bowl. Grind rice into fine batter and add to the same bowl.Mix both the batters well and allow the batter t ferment for 10 hours.
In a separate bowl,take 1/2 cup of maida. And add 1/2 cup of rice flour. Now add 1 cup of water and mix both the flours. Keep this batter also for fermentation for 10 hours. After 10 hours of fermentation mix both the batters,add required amount of salt and mix well. Before making first dosa,spread few drops of oil on a hot dosa pan.Keep the flame low but the pan should very hot.
Spread the batter thin and large and spread a tsp of ghee on top. Cook on low flame until dosa becomes crispy and gets a slightly brown color on lower side.Fold dosa just like they do in hotels 😉 and serve it hot. There is no other best match for this dosa except a spicy coconut chutney and sambar.