Pomfret fish curry recipe | Pomfret curry | Mangalorean fish curry recipe with step by step photos:
There was a request for Mangalorean style pomfret curry pending from a long time in our channel.Now that I don’t like cooking fish curry in my kitchen,I visited my mother’s place to take up this recipe request 🙂 .With my mother’s guidance I prepared pomfret fish curry in a typical coastal Karnataka style.Hope you all will like it.
Ingredients required :
pomfret fish – 500 gms
dry red chillies – 12 to 15 or as per your spice preference
coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
pepper corns – 1 tsp
methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
fresh shredded coconut – 1.5 cups
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
salt – to taste
tamarind – small lime sized
garlic cloves – 15
onion – 2
- Clean the fish slices and keep it marinated with salt and turmeric powder.
- Dry roast the chillies,coriander seeds,cumin seeds,pepper corns and methi seeds and transfer them to grinder.
- Also add 1.5 cups of fresh shredded coconut and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder to grinder.
- Add little water and grind the masala.It should be a fine masala paste.At the end add 1 roughly chopped onion,15 garlic cloves and a small lime sized tamarind and grind the masala again into a very fine paste.
- Transfer the masala to a wok and add masala water.If required add more water and bring the gravy to required consistency.A typical Udupi-Mangalore style pomfret curry will have thin gravy,but you can adjust it according to your preference.
- Boil the gravy for about 6 to 7 minutes and then 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion(or 1 small sized onion),salt and marinated fish.Stir gently without breaking the fish slices.Boil the gravy again until fish gets cooked well.This should not take more than 5 to 6 minutes on medium flame.
- Serve this fish curry with boiled rice or white rice.
Step by step photos:
Dry roast 12 to 15 byadgi chillies. Dry roast coriander seeds,cumin seeds,pepper corns and methi seeds. Add 1.5 cups of fresh shredded coconut to grinder. Add roasted spices too to the grinder. Also add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder. Add little water and grind the masala.
After grinding the masala finely,add tamarind,garlic cloves and roughly chopped onion and grind again for few more rounds until onion,garlic and tamarind become fine paste and get blended with the masala. Transfer the masala paste into a wok and add masala water. If required add more water to adjust the gravy consistency. Boil the gravy for about 5 to 6 minutes and add 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion. Add salt as per taste. Finally add marinated fish slices. Boil again for 5 more minutes on medium flame. And our Udupi-Mangalore style pomfret fish curry will be ready to serve.