punjabi chole masala recipe | channa masala recipe | chole masala with step by step photos:
Punjabi chole masala is a delicious,spicy and flavored curry from Punjabi cuisine.I make this curry at least once a week.In an authentic punjabi chole recipe black tea pouch is added along with soaked chana while pressure cooking them.Tea powder gives a nice aroma,color and taste to this curry.We can also add dry amla while pressure cooking the chana.Since I did not have amla,I used tea powder in this recipe.Further to give a restaurant style flavor,I have used homemade chole masala powder.In this post I am presenting the recipe for both chole masala powder and the procedure for making chole masala.
Ingredients for chole masala powder:
cloves – 5 to 6
cinnamon – 1 inch size
cardamom – 2
bay leaves – 2
mace strands – 4 to 5
fennel seeds – 1 tsp
black tea powder – 2 tsp
chickpeas/kabuli chana – 2 cups
salt – as per taste
cooking oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
onion – 1 , finely chopped
tomatoes – 3
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
coriander powder – 1 tsp
green chillies – 2
aam chur powder/dry mango powder – 1/2 tsp
coriander leaves – 3 tbsp,finely chopped
- Firstly,dry roast all the ingredients required for chole masala powder and grind them into fine powder.This chole masala powder can be stored in an air tight jar up to a month if you are preparing it in large quantity.For large quantity,proportionately increase the measurements of each ingredient.
- Keep kabuli chana or white chickpeas for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight.You can wash the chickpeas well and soak them in water.If you are doing so,there is no need to drain the water instead use the same water in which you soak the chana for pressure cooking.Otherwise,drain the water and add only soaked chana to pressure cooker.For 2 cups of soaked chana add 3 cups of water to pressure cooker.
- Add 2 tsp of black tea powder into a small cheesecloth and tie it tight as shown in the picture below.Drop this tea bag inside the cooker along with soaked chana.Also add about 1.5 tsp of salt and pressure cook the chana on high flame up to 5 whistles and for 3 more whistles on low flame.
- Once the pressure is released,open the cooker lid and discard tea bag.By now chana would have turned dark in color and also tea powder imparts a nice aroma to the chana and the stock.
- In a kadai or a wok,heat 4 to 5 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is heated well,add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Grind 3 tomatoes into fine paste and add them after the onion has turned translucent.
- Also add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder,1.5 tsp of red chilli powder,1 tsp of coriander powder and 2 thin slit green chillies.Give a good mix and fry for few seconds.
- Next,add already prepared chole masala powder,pressure cooked chickpeas or the chana,1/2 tsp of salt and salt as per taste.Give a good stir and add chickpeas stock or the reserved water in pressure cooker.Stir again.
- Close the wok with a lid and cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes of cooking on medium flame you would see that the gravy has got a thick and creamy texture because of the tomato paste and all spices we add.Turn off the flame and finish it off by adding few chopped coriander leaves at the end.If you want you can garnish it after serving with some ginger Julian.Thats all the procedure for making an authentic punjabi style chole masala 🙂 .Enjoy !!
Step by step photos:
If you have black tea pouch you can use them directly while pressure cooking the chana.Otherwise take a small piece of cheese cloth. Place 2 tsp of black tea powder on the cheese cloth.
Tie it and secure tight as shown in the picture below. The chana should be soaked for atleast 8 hours or overnight.Add soaked chana to the pressure cooker. For 2 cups of soaked chana add 3 cups of water. Also drop in the black tea pouch. Add 1.5 tsp of salt.We can adjust the salt quantity later while making masala. While the chana is pressure cooking,prepare chole masala powder by dry roasting all the ingredients mentioned above and grind them into fine powder. Discard tea bag from the pressure cooked chana.
Next,Keep a kadai or a wok on stove and heat 4 to 5 tbsp of cooking oil. Add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste and saute for few seconds. Add 1 finely chopped onion and saute until it turns translucent. Grind 3 tomatoes into fine paste and add it to the wok. cook on medium flame until the raw smell of tomatoes is gone.Next,add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder,1.5 tsp of red chilli powder and 1 tsp of coriander powder and 2 thin slit green chillies. Give a good stir,and add chole masala powder. Further, add the pressure cooked chickpeas along with salt as per taste and 1/2 tsp of aam chur powder.
Mix well and add chickpea stock from pressure cooker. Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes with lid closed.After 5 minutes open the lid,give a stir and turn off the flame.Finally add few chopped coriander leaves. This delicious punjabi chole masala goes well with roti,paratha,poori or white rice 🙂