Learn how to make rasam powder .. the basic and simple recipe with very few ingredients.Rasam is basically a soup ..it’s a South Indian Tomato soup.Within South India itself, people from different regions make different types of Rasam and the changes come mainly from powder they use while making Rasam.Yes,in this post we will see the recipe for Rasam Powder.Video recipes are already available for Tomato Rasam and Rasam Powder.
- Dry red chillies – 10
- Coriander seeds – 7 tsps
- Black pepper corns – 1.5 tbsp
- Cumin – 2 tsps
- Fenugreek/methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- oil – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 4 to 5 springs
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Take a saute pan and add dry red chillies for roasting.You can vary the measurements but make sure you retain proportions for each ingredient.
- Also add 7 tsp of coriander seeds.You can also roast dry red chillies for a minute or so and then add coriander seeds.It is important to keep the flame low.
- Next,add 1.5 tbsps of black pepper corns.
- Further add 2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Methi seeds should be in very less quantity.About 1/2 tsp should suffice.
- A tbsp of mustard seeds would impart a nice flavor to the rasam.So add mustard seeds too for roasting.
- You can either dry roast the ingredients or add very little oil about 1 tsp while roasting.
- Roast all the spices in low flame for 4 to 5 minutes without burning them.We need to continuously stir-fry in order to avoid burning them.
- After roasting for 4 to 5 minutes add fresh curry leaves and 1/2 tsp of asafoetida or hing powder.
- And finally add turmeric powder.Adding turmeric powder while making rasam powder is optional.It can be directly added while making rasam.
- Allow all the roasted Ingredients to cool and then transfer them to a blender or a mixie jar and make a very fine powder.That’s it !! Store the powder in an air-tight jar and label it – RASAM POWDER 🙂
Step by step photos:
Firstly add 10 dry red chillies to the saute pan for roasting.
Further add 7 tsps of coriander seeds,1.5 tbsp of black pepper corns,2 tsps of cumin seeds,1/2 tsp methi seeds and 1 tbsp of mustard seeds.
We can either dry roast or add very little oil while roasting about 1 tsp of oil.
Roast all the spice for 4 to 5 minutes in low flame without burning them.
After 4 to 5 minutes of roasting on low flame add 4 to 5 springs of curry leaves,1/2 tsp of asafoetida and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
Roast again in low flame for 2 more minutes and turn off the flame.Allow the roasted spices to cool and then grind them into a fine powder.Our rasam powder is ready store it in an air tight jar or container.
If done in a proper manner this rasam powder can be stored up to 3 to 4 months.After that there could slight changes in the flavor.Store and use them whenever you make instant tomato rasam.
Thats all ! The most simple recipe of making Rasam Powder 🙂