Sabudana halwa | sago halwa with step by step photos:
Sabudana or Sago is rich in carbohydrate and to some extent contains calcium too.It is a good supplement to have during Navratri fasting in the form of khichdi,thalipeeth,vada,pakoda or kheer.For a change this time I tried making Sabudana halwa.The recipe is similar to any other halwa except for the part of cooking sabudana in pressure cooker to speed up the cooking process.
- ghee – 4 to 5 tbsp
- sago/sabudana – 1/2 cup
- milk – 1 cup
- sugar – 1/2 cup
- saffron – 1/2 tsp
- cashew nuts and raising 1 or 2 tbsp each
- cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Soak 1/2 tsp of saffron in warm milk for 10 minutes.
- To start with keep a pressure on stove and add 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add 1/2 cup of sabudana and fry it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water and pressure cook on medium flame up to 2 whistles.
- Transfer the pressure cooked sabudana to a kadai or any heavy bottomed pan.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar and stir continuously on low flame until the sugar melts completely.
- Once the sugar is melted,add 3 tbsp of ghee.
- Cook it on low flame while stirring it continuously.Cook until ghee starts separating from the pan/kadai.
- Now add soaked saffron.
- Fry 1 or 2 tbsp each of cashew nuts and raisins in ghee.
- When you see ghee separating from pan add fried cashew nuts and raisins and stir well.Also add 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and our sago halwa is ready to serve 🙂
Step by step photos:
Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pressure cooker. Add 1/2 cup of sago or sabudana and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water. Pressure cook sabudana on medium flame up to 2 whistles,turn off the flame.Wait until natural release of the pressure and transfer the pressure cooked sabudana to a kadai or heavy bottomed pan. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and stir it continuously on low flame until sugar melts completely. When the sugar is melted,add 3 tbsp of ghee. Stir it continuously on low flame until ghee starts separating from pan or kadai.
Add 1/2 tsp of saffron soaked in milk.When ghee starts separating through edges,add cashew nuts and raisins fried in ghee.
Also add 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.Mix well. And our simple,easy and delicious sabudana halwa is ready to serve 🙂