Most of the Indo-chinese snacks are incomplete without schezwan sauce.There are recipes that take schezwan sauce as the main ingredient,like Schezwan fried rice,schezwan noodles etc..The schezwan sauce that you buy from store will usually have some preservative in it ,so its always good to prepare it at home.Its easy to make and can be stored up to 15 days.
- Dry red chillies – 25
- Garlic ,finely chopped – 1/3 cup
- Ginger,finely chopped – 4 tbsp
- Soya sauce – 2 tbsp
- Vinegar – 3 tsp
- Tomato sauce – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Oil -5 to 6 tbsp
- Soak about 25 dry red chillies in hot water for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour,drain the water and grind soaked dry red chillies into very fine paste.
- In a pan heat up 5 to 6 tbsp of oil.
- To the hot oil,add 1/3 cup of finely chopped garlic and fry in low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next,add 4 tbsp of finely chopped ginger and fry again for 1 more minute.
- Now add finely ground red chilli paste and fry for 4 to 5 minutes in low flame.
- After frying in low flame,add all the sauces.Add 2 tbsp of soya sauce,3 tsp of vinegar and 1 tbsp of tomato sauce.
- Also add salt to taste and 2 tsp of sugar.Mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook in low flame for 5 to 6 minutes more in low flame.
- Store this homemade schezwan sauce in an air tight jar.If you want to make it in larger quantity then change the measurements proportionately.
Step by step photos:
Soak 25 dry red chillies in hot water for 1 hour. After 1 hour of soaking,drain the water and grind the chillies into a fine paste. In a pan,heat up 5 to 6 tbsp of oil. Add 1/3 cup of finely chopped garlic and fry it in low flame for 2 minutes. Next,add 4 tbsp of finely chopped ginger and fry again for 1 more minute in low flame. Next,add the red chilli paste.
After adding red chilli paste stir fry it in low flame for 4 to 5 minutes and then add 2 tbsp of soya sauce. Also add 3 tsp of vinegar. Add salt to taste. Also add 2 tsp of sugar. Further add 1 tbsp of tomato sauce. Mix everything together and add 1/2 cup of water. Stir once and cook it in low flame for 5 more minutes under closed lid. And our homemade schezwan sauce will be ready.Store it in an air tight jar.