Semiya Pulao Recipe | Vermicelli pulao | shavige pulao recipe with step by step photos:
Whether it is breakfast,lunch or dinner, semiya pulao can perfectly accommodate itself in the menu.Its suitable for kids tiffin box too.The recipe takes slight changes compared to that of veg pulao prepared with rice.Basically the spices and ginger garlic flavor in semiya pulao are kept mild compared to that of veg pulao with rice.What vegetables to add to the pulao is totally our choice.But I found that adding tomatoes can make semiya little mushy so I have avoided tomatoes.The vegetables that I found to go well with vermicelli are carrots,beans and green peas.We can also add in the chopped potatoes.Basically any vegetable that stays on the crunchy side after frying can be added in this vermicelli pulao.Hence I have also avoided capsicum,cauliflower,mushrooms etc.It’s a simple,tasty,healty and easy to make vermicelli pulao.Give it a try …I am sure you will like it 🙂
ghee – 1 tsp
semiya/vermicelli – 1.5 cups
oil – 2 tbsp
fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
small sticks of cinnamon – 2 to 3
bay leaf – 1
cloves – 4
onion – 1
ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
green peas – 1/2 cup
carrot – 2
beans – 1 cup
green chilli – 1
cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
salt – as per taste
turmeric powder – a pinch
coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
boiling water – 3 cups(twice the quantity of vermicelli)
- Firstly,heat 1 tsp of ghee in a pan and roast 1.5 cups of vermicelli in it until it turns slightly golden brown in color.Keep aside the roasted vermicelli.
- In a wok or kadai,heat 2 tbsp of oil and add 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds,2 to 3 small sticks of cinnamon,1 bay leaf,4 cloves and 1 thin sliced onion.Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste and saute again.
- Next,add vegetables one by one: 1/2 cup of green peas,2 thin sliced carrots and 1 cup of thin sliced beans.
- Along with vegetables,also add 1 finely chopped green chilli.You can vary the quantity of green chilli as per your spice preference.However avoid using chilli powder in pulao 🙂
- Also add 2 tbsp of cashew nuts for that extra taste.It is optional though.Add salt as per taste.
- Stir-fry the vegetables for 1 or 2 minutes and cover with a lid.Do not add water.Let it cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes of cooking the vegetables on low flame open the lid and add a pinch of turmeric powder along with 2 tbsp coriander leaves.
- Add in the roasted vermicelli and mix well.
- Next add hot boiling water.Vermicelli and water ratio should be 1:2. So for this recipe I have added 3 cups of boiling water.
- If you need to add more salt,adjust it at this stage.
- Cook on medium flame until water gets absorbed.Keep checking in between to avoid burning the pulao 😉
- Finally add 1 tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.And our delicious vermicelli pulao will be ready to serve!
Step by step photos:
In a pan heat 1 tsp of ghee and add 1.5 cups of vermicelli to it.Roast it until it turns golden brown in color.Keep aside the roasted vermicelli. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok and add 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds,2 to 3 small sticks of cinnamon,4 cloves and 1 bay leaf.Also add 1 thin sliced onion.Saute for 1 or 2 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste and saute again. Add all the vegetables one by one:1/2 cup of green peas,2 thin sliced carrots and 1 cup of thin sliced beans. Also add 1 finely chopped green chilli and 2 tbsp of cashew nuts. Stir-fry the vegetables for 2 minutes and add salt as per taste. Cook vegetables on low flame for 5 minutes.
Further,add a pinch of turmeric powder,2 tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves and roasted vermicelli.Mix everything together. Now add 3 cups of boiling water and adjust salt as per your taste. Cook on medium flame until water gets absorbed completely. Finally add a tbsp of finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well. That’s all the procedure for a delicious vermicelli pulao 🙂