set dosa recipe | set dose recipe | Hotel style set dosa with step by step photos:
Set dosa is a soft and spongy dosa very commonly prepared for breakfast in Udupi and other coastal regions of Karnataka.Also called as ‘uddina dose’ (meaning urad dal ka dosa),its made by soaking rice and urad dal for 4 to 5 hours and then grinding them separately into fine batters.Batters are then mixed together and kept for fermentation.For extra soft and spongy effect we add poha and methi seeds.After neer dosa,set dosa is the most frequently prepared breakfast in my house 🙂 .Set dosa makes a good combination with veg kurma or a veg saagu.We can also serve it with coconut chutney.
Traditionally these dosas are small in size of about 5 inch wide.Best part is that set dosa remains soft and spongy even after 3 to 4 hours of making it,but tastes best only when served hot! When served these dosas are not served one dosa at a time.They are always served as a set of 3 to 4 dosas…hence the name ‘set dosa’ 🙂
Making this dosa soft and porous is a tricky thing.With same ingredients and quantity,there is no guarantee that the dosas would turn out to be as porous as shown in the pictures below.Yes..few tips for making dosa soft and porous : Firstly,wash rice and dal separately and then soak them with enough water so that you can use soaked water while grinding the batter.Using soaked water while grinding helps in better fermentation of the batter.However,you can discard the soaked water in summer to avoid over fermentation.Second and most important tip..grind urad dal as fine as possible.But rice should be ground slightly coarse similar to that of semolina(suji/rava) texture.Last tip is to mix the batters very well.More you whisk and mix the batters more porous will be the dosas.Follow these tips and the measurements as mentioned below.You are sure to get the exact hotel style set dosas 🙂 .Happy cooking !!
raw rice/dosa rice – 2 cups
urad dal – 1/2 cup
methi(fenugreek) seeds – 1 tsp
thin poha – 1 cup
salt – as per taste
- Firstly wash rice 3 to 4 times with clean water and drain the water.Soak the washed rice with about 2 to 3 cups of water.
- In a separate bowl take 1/2 cup pf urad dal and 1 tsp of methi seeds.Wash them together 3 to 4 times.Drain the water and soak dal and methi seeds with about 1 to 1.5 cups of water.
- Soak both rice and urad dal in two separate bowls for about 4 to 5 hours.
- After 4 to 5 hours of soaking,first grind urad dal and methi seeds into fine batter.Grind dal as fine as possible.While grinding use the soaked water when required.
- Transfer the batter into a mixing bowl.
- Next,transfer soaked rice to the same grinding jar along with 1 cup of thin poha and grind into slightly coarse batter.Again use soaked water for grinding.Do not add too much of water while grinding the rice .If required we can add water at a later stage to adjust the batter consistency.
- Transfer rice batter to the same mixing bowl.Mix both the batters really well.The batter should be whisked vigorously for about 5 minutes continuously.
- After mixing the urad dal batter and rice batter,Close the bowl with a lid and keep it in a warm place for fermentation.Depending on the room temperature fermentation takes anywhere between 8 to 12 hours.If you need to prepare this dosa for breakfast you can prepare the batter previous night and keep for fermentation in a warm place.
- Next morning,whisk the fermented batter once again for about 5 minutes.Add salt as per taste.
- Heat a dosa pan.I always use neer dosa pan for making set dosa.You can also non stick tawa.Spread little oil on dosa pan and spread it evenly.
- Take a ladleful of dosa batter and spread it up to a diameter of 5 or 6 inches(not more than that).Cook on medium flame for about a minute and flip the dosa.Cook well on other side too and transfer the dosa onto serving plate.Follow the same procedure for making remaining dosas and pile them up on serving plate..set of 2 to 3 dosas per person 😉 ..
- Serve these soft and spongy set dosas with veg sagu,veg kurma or coconut chutney.
Step by step photos:
Wash 2 cups of rice separately and soak in water in a bowl.In a separate bowl wash 1/2 cup of urad dal and 1 tsp of methi seeds and soak in water.Soak both rice and dal for about 4 to 5 hours. After 4 to 5 hours soaking grind urad dal and methi seeds separately into very fine batter and transfer the batter to a bowl.Next,add soaked rice to the same grinding jar along with 1 cup of thin poha. Grind rice into a slightly coarse textured batter and transfer the batter to same bowl.If required add water and adjust the batter consistency.Do not make the batter very watery.While adding water use remaining water that you get after soaking dal and rice.This would result in good fermentation of the batter. Mix both the batters.Whisk the batter vigorously for about 5 minutes continuously. Keep the batter for 8 to 10 hours or even for 12 hours depending on the room temperature.Next morning,add salt to the batter and whisk it again for 5 minutes.Spread some oil to the dosa pan and spread a ladleful of dosa batter into a circular shape of 5 inch wide. Cook dosa on both the sides on medium flame.
Serve these soft and spongy set dosas with veg sagu,kurma or coconut chutney.