Sukkinunde recipe | Kayi sukkinunde with step by step photos:
Kayi sukkinunde is a traditional sweet dish from Coastal Karnataka regions which are often made on festive occasions and as evening snacks.A mix of jaggery and freshly shredded coconut are cooked on low flame until they bind well .. small balls are made from this sweet mixture and then dipped in a rice batter and deep fried.Its an easy sweet dish that takes very few ingredients.
dosa rice/raw rice – 1/2 cup,soaked 2 hours
turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
salt – 1/3 tsp
jaggery – 3/4 cup
coconut – 1 cup
roasted white sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Soak raw rice for 2 hours.
- Drain water and transfer soaked rice to a blending jar.
- Also add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and 1/3 tsp of salt to the jar.Add very little water and grind the rice into fine and thick batter.Transfer the batter to a bowl and keep aside.
- In a pan heat 3/4 cup of jaggery and add 2 tbsp of water.Cook on low flame.Stir until the jaggery melts completely.
- Once jaggery is melted add 1 cup of fresh and shredded coconut.Mix well and cook on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Finally add 2 tbsp of roasted white sesame seeds and 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.Mix again turn off the flame.
- Allow the jaggery and coconut mixture to cool before shaping lime sized balls from it.
- Wet your palms with cold water and make lime sized balls from sweet mixture.Dip the ball inside the rice batter and give a good coating of the batter.
- Deep fry batter coated coconut laddu in hot oil on medium flame and our fried kayi sukkinunde will be ready !
Step by step photos:
Add 1/2 cup of soaked raw rice,1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and 1/3 tsp of salt into a grinding jar.Add very little water and grind the rice into a fine and thick batter.
Next,in a pan heat 3/4 cup of jaggery and once it melts completely add 1 cup of shredded coconut.Mix well and cook on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Finally add 2 tbsp of roasted white(or black) sesame seeds and 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder and mix again.Turn off the flame. Once the mixture cools,make small balls from it. Dip it in the rice batter and give a good coating of the batter. Deep fry the batter coated balls in hot oil on medium flame. That’s all the procedure for making simple,easy and tasty kayi sukkinunde 🙂