Surmai Fish Fry Recipe | Surmai Rava fry | Seer fish fry with step by step photos:
Today’s recipe,surmai or seer fish fry in Coastal Karnataka style is a no-fail,easy to make recipe that takes easily available ingredients at home.Popularly called as anjal fish in South Canara region,this is one of the most frequently ordered fish fry in any sea food restaurants.
large surmai fish slices – 2
ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
lemon juice – 3 tbsp
salt – 1/3 tsp or as per taste
cumin powder – a pinch
turmeric powder – a pinch
coriander powder – 1/3 tsp
red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
oil – as required to fry the fish slices
semolina/rava – 1/2 cup
- Except semolina and oil add all other ingredients to cleaned surmai fish slices,mix well and coat the fish slices with masala.
- Keep fish slices for marination for about 30 minutes.
- Heat about 1 or 2 tsp of oil in a pan or tawa.Spread oil all over the pan.Allow the oil to heat properly.
- In a plate spread 1/2 a cup of semolina and place the marinated fish slices on semolina.
- Coat the fish slices with semolina and plce coated fish slices on tawa.Add 1 tsp of oil on top.Cover it with a lid and cook on low flame.
- Once the fish slices are cooked well on one side,flip them and cook on other side too.If required add more oil while frying.Cook them well on both sides and they will be ready to plate.
Step by step photos:
Take 2 large sized cleaned surmai fish slices and add 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste to it. For a tangy flavor,add about 3 tbsp of lime juice. Add about 1/3 tsp of salt.You can flexibly vary salt measurement as per taste.
A pinch of cumin powder will enhance the flavor. Also add a pinch of turmeric powder. Further add 1/3 tsp of coriander powder. And finally add 1.5 tsp of red chilli powder.If you are using kashmiri chilli powder then slightly increase the quantity of red chilli powder. Mix all the ingredients and give a nice coating of the masala to fish slices.Keep fish slices for marination for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes,keep a tawa on stove and heat 1 to 2 tsp of oil.Preferably use a cast iron tawa. On a plate,spread 1/2 cup of semolina.
Coat the marinated fish slices with semolina. Place the semolina coated fish slices on tawa and spread 1 tsp of oil on top. Cook well on one side on low flame and then flip the fish slices.Cook well on other side too and they are ready to plate.