Upma or Uppittu is a popular,easy to make South Indian breakfast recipe.It is traditionally served with coconut chutney or kesaribath or Avalakki(beaten rice).Upma when served along with Kesribath is called as Chou Chou bath in Karnataka.Upma is also served with Poha.It makes another wonderful combination.Follow this simple and easy recipe with step by step photos and know how easy it is to make Uppittu or upma and Poha at home.
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for Upma”]
- oil – 4 tbsp
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- black split gram(urad dal) – 2 tbsp
- split bengal gram(chana dal)-2 tbsp
- curry leaves – 10
- ginger(finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- green chilli(finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
- onion (finely chopped)-1/4 cup
- semolina/suji/rava – 2 cups
- salt – to taste
- boiling water – 5 cups
- ghee – 2 tsp
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for Poha”]
- beaten rice/poha – 2 cups
- salt – to taste
- red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- sugar – 1 tsp
- fresh shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – 10
- broken red chillies – 2
- coriander seeds – 1 tsp
[directions title=”Directions for making Upma”]
- Heat up 4 tbsps of oil in a wok or kadai.
- Add mustard seeds.Once they start spluttering add split black gram and bengal gram.Fry in low flame.
- Further add 10 curry leaves and 1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger.Also add 2 tbsp of finely chopped green chillies.
- fry in low flame for few seconds.
- Next add 2 cups of semolina or suji.
- Fry suji in low flame,while stirring it continuously,for about 6 to 7 minutes.Fry until suji becomes light.
- After frying suji for 7 minutes in low flame,add boiling hot water.For 1 cup of Suji we need atleast 2 and half cups of boiling water.
- Immediately after adding water we should stir it well to avoid the lumps.And then add 2 tsp of ghee to enhance the flavor.
- Close the wok with a lid for 2 minutes in low flame.After 2 minutes open the lid stir again and add few chopped coriander leaves and Upma will be ready to serve.
[directions title=”Directions for making Poha”]
- In a mixing bowl take 2 cups of poha or beaten rice and add 1/2 tsp of salt,1/2 tsp of red chilli powder,1 tsp of sugar and 1/2 cup of fresh shredded coconut.DO NOT mix them yet.
- Next for tempering heat up 1 tsp of oil and add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- Also add 2 broken red chillies,10 curry leaves-roughly chopped and 1 tsp of coriander seeds.Fry them well.
- Now pour these fried ingredients along with oil on top of shredded coconut in mixing bowl.Immediately close it with a lid and wait for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes mix it well with hand while crushing the fried red chillies and coriander seeds.Optionally you can also add turmeric powder poha.Mix well and serve this poha along with upma.They will make a good combination :).
- See below for more detailed recipe with step by step photos.
Add 1 tsp of mustard seeds to 4 tbsp of hot oil.
Once the mustard starts spluttering add,urad dal and chana dal,2 tbsp each.
Add 10 curry leaves that are roughly chopped and 1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger.
Further add 2 tbsp of finely chopped green chillies and fry well in low flame.
Once they are fried well ,add 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion and fry again in low flame.
Next add 2 cups of suji or rava.
Fry rava atleast for 6 to 7 minutes on low flame and add salt to taste.
Now add 5 cups of boiling water and stir continuously to avoid any lump formation.
Also add 2 tsp of ghee to enhance the flavor.
After adding ghee mix well and cook it on low flame for 2 minutes under closed lid.That’s all! Upma will be ready to serve 🙂
For poha recipe,take 2 cups of poha or beaten rice in a mixing bowl.
Add 1/2 tsp of salt,1/2 tsp of red chilli powder and 1 tsp of sugar.
Do not mix them yet.Add 1/2 cup of fresh shredded coconut.
Now for tempering heat up 1 tsp of oil and add 1 tsp of mustard seeds.Once they start spluttering ass 10 curry leaves-roughly chopped and 2 dry red chillies -half broken and 1 tsp of coriander seeds.
Fry well and pour the fried ingredients on top of shredded coconut in mixing bowl.Immediately close the bowl with a plate for 2 minutes.
After 2 minutes mix everything together,while crushing the red chillies and coriander seeds.
That’s all! Our easy to make Poha to serve with Upma is ready 🙂
WAIT !! There are few more ways of serving upma.The most popular and restaurant style of serving upma is to serve it with Kesaribath.
And another option is to serve it with coconut chutney 🙂