Vangi bath recipe | Karnataka style vangi bath with step by step photos and instructions:
Vangi bath being one of the quick lunch box rice item,originated from Karnataka.Its a kind of tawa pulao where instead of mixed vegetables we add only brinjal.I prepare vangi bath often for my daugther’s lunch box as it takes hardly 10 to 15 minutes of preparation.You just need to have Vangi bath masala powder ready and stored in an air tight container.
- Vangi bath masala powder – 4 tsp
- cooked rice – 3 servings ( 3 to 4 cups)
- oil -5 tbsp
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – 10
- peanuts – 3 tbsp
- asafoetida – a pinch
- slit green chillies – 2
- brinjal (green and long brinjals) – 3
- salt – to taste
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- jaggery – 1 tsp
- tamarind juice – 1 tbsp
- In a wok,heat up 5 tbsp of oil.Vangi bath takes in slightly more oil compared to other rice items like lemon rice,tamarind rice etc.Since we don’t add water while cooking brinjals we can’t add very little oil.
- Once the oil is heated well,add 1 tsp pf mustard seeds and wait until it starts spluttering.
- Next add 1 tsp of urad dal,10 curry leaves,3 tbsp pf peanuts and fry them for 2 minutes or until peanuts are fried well.
- Next add a pinch of asafoetida followed by 2 thin slit green chillies and fry for few seconds.
- Take 3 green and long variety of brinjals and cut them length wise into approximately 1 to 1.4 inch length.Soak brinjal slices in cold water for 10 minutes.Drain all the water.Add them to wok and fry for few seconds.
- Now add 1/2 tsp of salt.Remaining salt can be added after adding rice.
- Also add 1/4 tsp pf turmeric powder,1 tsp of jaggery,1 tbsp of tamarind juice and mix well.stir fry the brinjal slices for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next add 4 tsp of vangi bath powder and mix well.Close with a lid and cook brinjals completely on medium flame.This should take about 6 to 7 minutes.
- After cooking brinjals,add cooked rice.I have added about 3.5 cups of cooked rice.Also check and add salt at this stage.
- Gently mix the rice with brinjal and salt and our quick and easy vangi bath will be ready to serve.
Step by step photos:
Heat up 5 tbsp in a wok and add a tsp of mustard seeds,a tsp of urad dal,10 curry leaves and 3 tbsp of peanuts.Fry them for 2 to 3 minutes. Next,add a pinch of asafoetida,2 thin slit green chillies,3 brinjals cut into lengthwise and 1/2 tsp of salt,1/4 tsp of turmeric powder,1 tsp of jagery and 1 tbsp of tamarind juice..Fry again for 2 to 3 minutes. Now add 4 tsp of vangi bath powder and mix well with brinjal slices. Cook brinjal under closed lid until the slices are cooked well and blend with all the spices.This should take about 6 to 8 minutes. Next add 3 to 4 cups of cooked rice.And adjust salt. Mix well for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a serving bowl.