Veg hakka noodles or simply called hakka noodles is a well known starter or main course recipe that is never missed in an Indo chinese restaurant menu.The word hakka basically refers to a language in China and the people who speak hakka are know as hakkas.Hakka cuisine is the cooking style popular among hakkas.Hakka cuisine is more popular among the Asians.Veg hakka noodles is one of the popular recipes from hakka cuisine wherein the vegetables are fried on high flame along with noodles and sauces.In India hakka noodles were first introduced in kolkata and slowly moved to the other parts of the country.Veg hakka noodles is also popular as a street food in India.
Usually veg hakka noodles are made spicy but considering the spice preference of my little one 🙂 I have made it slightly sweet by adding tomato sauce.Also the vegetables can be added as per our personal choice.Vegtables shouldn’t be over cooked.In any chinese dish the veggies are mostly quickly fried in High flame and are not completely cooked , thus retaining the crunchiness in vegetables.
- oil – 3 tbsp
- onion -1
- thin sliced cabbage – 1 cup
- thin sliced capsicum – 1
- thin sliced carrot – 1/2 cup
- thin sliced beans – 1/2 cup
- moong sprouts – 1/2 cup
- finely chopped spring onion -3 to 4 tbsp
- pepper powder or crushed black pepper – as per taste
- salt – to taste
- noodles – 150 gms
- chilli sauce – 1 or 2 tsps
- dark soya sauce – 1 tsp
- tomato sauce- optional
- To start with heat up 3 tbsps of oil in a saute pan.
- Add 1 medium sized onion that is thin sliced.Saute for a minute.
- Add all the thin sliced vegetables – carrot,beans,capsicum and cabbage.
- Saute vegetables on high flame for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add crushed black pepper or the pepper powder as per your spice preference.Also add salt to taste.
- Mix well and add boiled noodles.To cook noodles you have add it to boiling water and allow it to cook for 5 to 7 minutes.Then drain the water and immerse the noodles in cold water for 3 minutes.Again drain the cold water.This will help in avoiding the noodles becoming sticky.
- After adding cooked noodles to the saute pan add the sauces.Add chilli sauce and dark soya sauce.If you are serving to kids you can also add tomato sauce.
- Give it a good toss or with the help of 2 spatulas mix the sauces,vegetables and noodles.Remember all this still on High flame 🙂
- Finally add sprouts and spring onion greens and mix well.
- Veg hakka noodles will be ready to serve. Any good Chinese soup or Manchurian sauce would go well with veg hakka noodles.I have served it with gobhi manchurian gravy 🙂
Step by step photos :
To start with heat up oil in saute pan and add thin sliced onion.Saute it on high flame.
Next add all the vegetables and saute them on high flame.
Add pepper powder and salt as per taste.
Mix well and add cooked noodles.
Toss the noodles .Before mixing it with vegetables add a tsp of soya sauce and chilli sauce.Optionally you can also add tomato sauce if you want it to be slightly sweet.
Toss or mix gently and finally add 1/2 cup of sprouts and 3 to 4 tbsp of spring onion greens.
Toss again and our veg hakka noodles is ready to serve .Serve it with any manchurian soup or gravy.