Veg saagu recipe | mixed veg saagu with step by step photos and instructions:
Mixed veg saagu is a popular veg curry from Karnataka that is usually served with poori or chapati.Its mostly served in a south indian thali in restaurants.In this post I am presenting one of the two saagu recipes that I know 🙂 .
Ingredients for sagu powder:
- coriander seeds – 1/3 cup
- oil – 1 tsp
- cloves – 10
- cinnamon – 4 to 5 pieces
- dry red chillies – 20
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- mix of vegetables – 3 cups (potato,green peas,cauliflower,carrot,beans)
- oil – 2 tbsp
- onion – 1/2 cup,finely chopped
- shredded coconut – 1 cup
- coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- ginger – 1/2 inch
- garlic cloves – 7
- saagu powder – 2 tsp
- salt – to taste
- sugar – 1/2 tsp
Directions for making saagu powder:
- Roast all the ingredients required for saagu powder(mentioned above),except turmeric powder.
- You can either dry roast the spices or add very little oil,about 1 tsp.
- Allow the roasted spices to cool completely and then transfer them to a mixie jar,add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and grind the spices into a fine powder.
- This is the saagu powder which can be stored in an air tight container.Use it whenever you want to make instant veg saagu.
- Take 3 cups of mixed vegetables that are roughly chopped and cook them with 2 cups of water and little salt.
- For the masala,grind 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut along with 1/2 cup of coriander leaves,1/2 inch piece of ginger,7 garlic cloves,2 tsp of saagu powder and little water.Grind the masala into a very fine paste.
- Keep aside the cooked vegetables.In a separate pan or a kadai,add 2 tbsp of oil.Once the oil is heated well,add 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion and fry until it turns translucent.
- Once the onion is fried well,add the masala to kadai and add required quantity of water but maintain a thick gravy consistency.
- Boil the masala in medium flame under closed lid for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add already cooked vegetables to the masala.Adjust salt and also add 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- Close with a lid and boil the gravy along with cooked vegetables for 2 more minutes.And our mixed veg saagu will be ready.Goes well with poori or chapati 🙂
Step by step photos:
For making saagu powder,roast all the ingredients mentioned under “Ingredients for sagu powder” with or without little oil.Allow all the fried ingredients to cool and then transfer them to a blending jar.Also add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
Grind all the ingredients into very fine powder.Store the powder in an air tight container and use whenever you want to make saagu.For making masala grind 1 cup of fresh shredded coconut along with 1/2 cup of coriander leaves,1/2 inch piece of ginger,7 garlic cloves,2 tsp of saagu powder and little water.Grind the masala into a very fine paste
For making saagu,start by cooking the vegetables.Take 3 cups of mixed vegetables preferably potato,green peas,cauliflower,carrot and beans. Add 2 cups of water,required quantity of salt and cook the vegetables completely. Keep aside the cooked vegetables.Next in a wok,heat up 2 tbsp of oil and add 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion. Saute the onions and add already prepared masala. Add required quantity of water and maintain a thick gravy consistency. Boil gravy for 5 minutes on medium flame and add cooked vegetables.Add salt as per taste. Optionally you can also add 1/2 tsp of sugar.
Serve this mixed veg saagu with Poori/Roti or Phulka.