Soft wheat flour bun with a spicy potato stuffing inside,is a perfect evening snack for a rainy day ! And that is what we had today evening 😉 After a long time it felt like a perfect rainy season(at least for few hours 🙂 ..lol ).Well… I must say it was a perfect and soft(because of the milk that I added) wheat bun.Its too easy to make.All we need to know is the right measurement for the recipe.So,here comes the recipe for wheat flour bun or stuffed wheat bun.
- wheat flour – 2 cups
- milk -1 to 1.25 cups
- dry yeast – 2 tsp
- sugar – 1.5 tsp
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- butter – 2 tbsp
- Potato baji/sabji for stuffing – You can vary the stuffing according to your preference.
- Firstly,we need to dissolve yeast in milk.Take 1/2 cup of warm milk in a cup/bowl.
- Add 2 tsp of dry yeast to milk.
- Also add 1.5 tsp of sugar.Yeast feeds on sugar.
- Keep aside the bowl in a warm place for 15 minutes allowing the yeast to proof.
- In a mixing bowl,take 2 cups of wheat flour.
- Add about 1/4 tsp of salt.Since I used salted butter I have added little less salt.You can adjust it as per your preference.
- Now add the dissolved yeast to the flour and mix it well.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk and mix and knead the dough.If required you can add little more milk for binding.The dough should be a sticky dough.Kneading well is important as it forms gluten and gives the bun its desired texture.
- After kneading the dough for about 5 minutes in a stretch and fold manner,add 2 tbsp of butter and mix it with the dough.
- Knead the dough again for 5 more minutes.
- Keep the dough in a bowl greased with butter and cover the bowl with a lid or a cling sheet and keep the bowl in a warm place.
- After about 1 hour you will an increase in the volume of the dough.It almost doubles in volume.Punch the dough and divide the dough into 5 to 6 equal portions.Do not knead the dough again.
- Now take each divided portion of the dough and give it a smooth surfaced ball shape.
- Keep all the balls on a greased baking tray and keep aside the tray covered with a cloth,for another 15 minutes.This again helps the dough balls to raise in volume and become double the initial size.
- After 15 minutes,Take each ball,make indent in middle and stuff the potato filling inside.Stretch the dough ball from sides and cover and seal the stuffing completely.
- Stuff the filling for all the dough balls and keep them back on greased tray.
- Bake the buns in a preheated oven at 200° for 25 minutes.
- One you take out the buns from oven,immediately brush or apply some butter on the bun.And our hot wheat potato buns will be ready 🙂
Step by step photos:
To start with,add 2 tsp of dry yeast and 1.5 tsp of sugar to 1/2 cup of warm milk.Stir once and then allow the yeast to feed on sugar and dissolve completely.Keep it aside for 15 minutes in a warm place. Next,in a mixing bowl take 2 cups of wheat flour.
Add 1/4 tsp of salt.You can add upto 1/2 tsp if you are using unsalted butter.
Now add the dissolved yeast to flour and mix well.
Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup more milk to mix and knead the dough.Adding milk instead of water will help in making bun soft. After kneading the dough for 5 minutes add 2 tbsp of butter and mix again.Knead the dough again for another 5 minutes ,thus making the gluten to form and improve the texture of buns. Keep aside the dough in a bowl greased with butter.Keep the bowl in a warm place to fasten the process of raising the dough.
After about 1 hour the dough will double in volume.
Punch the dough to release the air incorporated.Do not knead it again.Just divide the dough into 5 to 6 equal portions and give them a ball shape with an even surface.
Place the dough balls on a baking tray greased with butter and keep the tray in a warm place for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes you will see the second raise in volume of the dough. Take the potato stuffing or any other mixed vegetable stuffing of your choice and place it in the middle of indented dough.Cover the filling and seal it completely by stretching the dough through sides.
Once again place all the stuffed dough balls on the greased baking tray and bake the buns in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at 200°.Immediately after taking out the buns from oven brush or apply some butter on them.Enjoy these slightly healthier version(compared to the ones made with all purpose flour) of buns 🙂